Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bible Verses for Panic, Depression, and Anxiety

OCTOBER 7, 2010: I have just discovered I cannot copy these verses in the New International Version unless they comprise 25% or less of the completed work, so most of the verses will be in the King James Version which is public domain. The few verses from the New International Version require this citation:



Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.




I posted these in May 2007 and would like to post them again to keep them current and easy to find. These verses changed my thought-life, my prayer-life, my relationship with God, gave me courage, and helped me see that my panic, depression, and anxiety were not stronger than my God, even though I had previously thought so! The reason I began this blog was to share these verses with others who might need them. I used to read them daily and on anxious days I also read them just before bed. God's Word is alive and active and when spoken out loud--powerful. (Hebrews 4:12) After completing three Beth Moore Bible Studies and reading these verses daily for about 4 months, I found the courage to pray these verses out loud to God during a panic attack, and the panic left and God's peace flooded in. It took about 20 minutes to pray these verses and when I'd finished, the fear had gone. The next time I had an attack, it took about 10 minutes before I felt the fear leave, and the next time it took all of one verse prayed out loud before the fear left! I could scarcely believe it and ran and told my husband who was in the bedroom getting ready for work.

Please don't think I am against medication for anxiety, panic, and depression. I am not. But I was medication-sensitive and couldn't tolerate the side effects of the SSRIs prescribed to me. I tried them all over a two-year period. I was desperate for relief! However, all I could tolerate was a low-dose sedative. And I took it as needed for about 3 years, and then, when things went from bad to worse, 3 times a day--until I realized, after being in God's Word daily for over a year and praying these Scriptures, I was skipping doses because I'd forget to take them. I'd forget to take them because I stopped experiencing the inner "vibrating" that signaled to me that the dose had worn off and it was time for another. I'd get busy and go my merry way and then realize suddenly that I'd missed the noon dose. I simply didn't need as much of the sedative. Finally, I was able to stop taking it altogether. But I didn't stop suddenly. And I talked to my doctor about it.


These are the Bible studies by Beth Moore that helped increase my faith and my belief and helped me discover who my God really was and what He could do. To discover who Jesus really was and how to have a relationship with Him through the Holy Spirit: Believing God, Breaking Free, To Live is Christ. I also took time out of every day to worship God and sit before Him in humility and silence. I surrendered my will to Him in everything--even panic.

The verses below breathe life and truth and God's peace into me every time I read them and, as I said earlier, stopped my panic attacks. I pray they do the same for others.

VERSES FROM ORIGINAL POST--


Isaiah 41:10 "Fear thou not; for I am with thee, Joni: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."

Isaiah 41:13 "For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee.

Isaiah 43:1-4 "Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour....Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee...."

Joshua 1:5-7,9 "As I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Be strong and of a good courage....Only be thou strong and very courageous..Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.".

Psalm 107:13-16 "Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble, and he saved them out of their distresses. He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder.
Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
For he hath broken the gates of brass, and cut the bars of iron in sunder."

Phillipians 4:6-7 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

Psalm 91: 1-2, 4-6 "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday."

Psalm 91: 14-16 "Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name. He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him. With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation."

Isaiah 54:10 "For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the LORD that hath mercy on thee."

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

Proverbs 1:33 "But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

1 Peter 5:7 Cast all you anxiety on Him because He cares for you."

Isaiah 26:3 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee; because he trusteth in thee."

Romans 8:6 "For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace."

Isaiah 59:19 "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him."

Ephesians 2:14 "For he is our peace."

Isaiah 51:12-15 "I, even I, am he that comforteth you: who art thou, that thou shouldest be afraid of a man that shall die, and of the son of man which shall be made as grass; And forgettest the LORD thy maker, that hath stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth; and hast feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor....But I am the LORD thy God, that divided the sea, whose waves roared: The LORD of hosts is his name.

Zephaniah 3:17 "The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing."

Ephesians 6:10-11 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Proverbs 2:7-8 He holds victory in store for the upright, He is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones. (New International Version)

Hebrews 13:5-6 God has said, "Never will I leave you. Never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid." (New International Version)

2 Peter 1:3-4 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness. Through these He has given us His very great and precious promises.... (New International Version)

Isaiah 30:18 Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for Him. (New International Version)

Psalm 34:4: "I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me, freeing me from all my fears." (New International Version)

I just found this one and decided to add it--

Romans 16:20: "And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen."

15 comments:

Yvonne said...

Thank you so much for gathering these Scriptures and publishing them. God Bless you!! May He continue the healing in your life and may you be filled continually with His joy!!! Jesus is Lord!
In His Love, Yvonne

angela said...

I just wanted to say Thank you for posting these verses. i have panic attacks, fear and depression. i lost my mother in march of this year and it has been really hard. i had fear that i would die from a heartattack like she did. but my pastor said the LORD said "I SHALL LIVE AND NOT DIE". I believe that.THANK YOU JESUS. AMEN!!!!!!!!

Nikki Fuller said...

Thank you so much for posting about your struggles and for pointing others to Christ! It has truly blessed me this morning as I have felt like I was drowning in a pit of despair. I still feel troubled but not nearly to the point that I was when I stumbled across your page. Thank you for your honesty! I believe that honesty and vulnerabily are key to being real and to being ok that I'm not okay.. I also share very honestly because I know that it not only helps my friends and family to know that I need support and encouragement but sometimes my reaction to my struggles encourages them. Keep it up! :-)

Banana said...

Thank You

Heather said...

This is just what i was searching for! I have been having panic and anxiety issues for 6 months, so much so now i cant swallow my food, so im seeing a dr, but i know i need to be putting my faith and trust in the Lord, he shall be my peace. I will be printing these verses off to be read in my times of fear. Thanks!

Marlon... said...

Hi Joni...
This is so awesome.i'm not used 2 havin panic/anxiety attacks but a few weeks ago i had a severe attack.it was only the second time this happened.the 1st time was almost 10years ago.i didnt really kno what 2do so i searched the internet & came across the scriptures u posted.it has helped me so much its unbelievable.God's word became more real 2me than its ever been b4.the scriptures u posted has become part of my quiet times wit the Lord.i now quote them out loud every day & i can feel the changes takin place on the inside.
Thank u so much for your openness & honesty wit what u went through.
Much luv...
Your bro in Christ Jesus...
Marlon...

Roy Fielding said...

Thanks Joni,

For all the research you did for us...

Roy

Anonymous said...

Today on Dr Oz he gave 4 possible reasons for panic attacks that should be ruled out:
1. hyperthyroid (graves disease)
2. tumor of the adrenal gland
3. mitral valve prolapse
4. GERD (Gastro-esophageal reflux disease)
Some of his guests had suffered for years before getting the correct diagnosis. Some had been prescribed potent sedatives and anti-depressants unnecessarily.
I hope this is helpful information. God is the ultimate answer to life's problems. But, just in case the anxiety symptoms are from a medically treatable illness, I thought this might help someone.

Anonymous said...

thank you, thank you, thank you.. i too just literally got this page by accident looking for bible scriptures. meanwhile i believe i have been suffering from panic attacks. last nite my heart starting racing in like the 120's and i was shaking. i felt my insides were just jumping. im thinking about going to the doctor because my anxieties, fears, and worries have been becoming too much for me to handle. but i truely believe Gods word is the prescription i need. i too will print these scriptures off to keep them with me. God Bless You. -michele

Fiona said...

Hi thanks soooo much for putting up the scriptures. I have been hiding my attacks for years and i really need to face it head on as its soo debilitating and i really want to live a full life. My attacks started when I had an operation - just woke out of the anaesthetic feeling like I was absolutely petrified and going to die.. its terrifying. I will read and take these scriptures as medicine to my mind, soul and body. Thanks again xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hannah said...

Thank you for this. It is a great resource and I appreciate your sharing powerful messages that are so helpful in trying times.

God Bless!
Hannah

raquel said...

Ive battled with panic attacks and constant "general anxiety disorder" since I was 12. I am now 23. This is so helpful. especially isaiah 51:12-15.. reminds me not to have fear of man. "but I am the LORD thy God, that divided the sea, whose waves roared.." how can we be so afraid when He "holds us in his right hand"? need to keep reminding myself of that. Thank you. Ive been on medication just so i can function (antidepressant). It has helped a lot but definitely not a permanent step and continuing to seek the LORD.Hoping to try to get off soon

thank you!!

Raquel

Anonymous said...

I looked at this trying to find a Christian way of releasing me from my constant fear of being abandoned and not loved. I had endless tears while reading instead of anger and jealousy. I an going to start over and give up these thoughts to Christ through more prayer. More and more I'm in faith that God's word and blessing is the only answer in my life. Amen.

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for the verses, they they have helped me much . Patience

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I've had difficulty rounding up verses I can read daily to help with my panic attacks and irrational fears. And here they are! Thank you for preparing these.