Tuesday, April 15, 2008

So Do Not Fear


Isaiah 41:10
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (NIV)

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
"Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

When I'm afraid, I can't sense God's presence or His love for me. Fear invades every part of me--mind, soul, spirit. I feel like a little child--defenseless, all alone. But when I deliberately turn my thoughts toward God and repeat His promises of His love and presence and help, (as in the verses above), I begin to sense fear leaving and God's peace returning. I've not only done this during anxiety but also after a nightmare. It takes awhile to develop this reaction to fearful thoughts and dreams. I had to read and reread the verses I've posted previously on my blog to give God's Word a permanent place in my sub-conscious so I would remember to turn to God. But establishing a pattern of going to God and His Word whenever threatened is the only way the suffocating bonds of fear can be broken. I'm still amazed at how powerful thoughts can be, and I want more than anything to have the mind of Christ about everything. It's the only way to live freely.

I wish I had known about the NASB version earlier. I like the repeated assurance of God's help.

3 comments:

km said...

I love that verse too. It is so difficult to keep my mind on HIS words. But, when I can...His peace is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

ChinAki said...

Hey Joni,
Found your blog while i was searching for a verse to overcome fear. I'm blessed reading your blog! Thanks for the sharing and keep it going.

Joni said...

I'm so glad you stopped by! :o)