Saturday, June 21, 2008

Letting God Meet Your Needs

Have you ever gone through a season of trial that left you feeling deflated, exhausted, and void of any sense of the presence of God or His love? I have. I am so thankful that God reminded me of Beth Moore's book on my bookshelf, Praying God's Word. I went straight to the section, Overcoming Feeling Unloved, and began praying the verses. I didn't get through many when I crumbled in tears at the realization of just how much God loves and cares for me.

I've discovered since then that my quiet time needs to be a time that I not only read God's Word and pray my prayer requests but also a time where I look up specific verses that touch a specific need that I have so that I allow God to meet my need.

If you don't have Praying God's Word (which gives Scripture prayers for overcoming many areas of weakness--deception, idolatry, pride, rejection, addiction, insecurity, feeling unloved, etc., you can still look up your area of need in the Concordance in the back of your Bible or go to http://www.biblegateway.com/ and click on the "key word" tab on the left, then type in the word that deals with your need. Turn the verses into prayers like this:

Jeremiah 31:3 "I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore I have drawn you with lovingkindness." Thank you, Father, that your love for me is everlasting. It will never fade. Thank you for putting that in black-and-white for me to read and rely on. You have drawn me to you with lovingkindness. Help me believe and receive Your perfect love.

Praying in this way forces us to pay attention to what God has said so we can pray it back. And the more we focus on His Word, the more it will take root in our hearts. Also, God honors our prayers when they are in accordance with His Word. I often copy a verse that really touches my heart onto a 3x5 card, and I tape it to my kitchen cabinet. It stays there until I have it memorized. I just recently took down Isaiah 30:18,19 (I think it's 18, 19. LOL!) Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you. He rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for Him. How gracious He will be when you cry for help. As soon as He hears He will answer you. (NIV) Isn't that awesome? I need to know that as soon as He hears, He determines to answer me. I loved those words so much I put them on my computer's screensaver.

3 comments:

km said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book too. It has brought me through some tough days. It's so great how the scriptures are matched to meet your current needs.

Susan said...

Hi Joni, thanks for giving me the link to your blog. I love the sweet and quit heart I hear in your posts. That can only come from someone who has been transformed by His love.
I have not read Beths book Praying God's Word. I need to get it. I too have suffered in the past with depression and panic attacks.
Praise God! He is so faithful.

Susan
http://www.grammyshouse-susan.blogspot.com
We are all a work in progress.

Anonymous said...

Hi I just read the post in seista for him and found your blog. I am really new at this computer stuff but boy am I being blessed from it. I love your blog site. About 4 months ago I found myself in the hospital for 5 days w/anxiety,depression etc. Not sure how I got so far down, alot I just blamed on my physical pain and the mental went unnoticed. I have the book praying God's word. I am going to start doing as you suggest. This No Other Gods has really been great and I feel like God is showing me how even codependent is an idol I do not want to have. Thank you so much for you blog and sharing. If you have any other suggestions in this area I would be ever so grateful. I to want that extreme makeover that only God can do. Be blessed, Jaye