Thursday, July 24, 2008

Be Still and Know

I'd been asking God what was wrong for several days because I wasn't coping as well as I used to. I asked Him more than once to show me and help me understand what my problem was. My answer came when I felt the urge to pick up "Celebration of Discipline" by Richard Foster and read it again. I read the first chapter on Meditation, and I knew what was wrong with me. I'd lost that sense of God's immediate presence in my life because I had stopped meditating on Him. I'd let the busyness of the world and too much activity creep back into my life.

I watched my Be Still DVD again, and I've started to set aside time for God during my day--not just in the mornings. I can already tell the difference. I'm calmer. Quieter inside. I'm listening for God's voice and direction throughout my day. He seems more present. I know He's always present, but meditating on Him makes me more aware of Him. I feel like His child again. The psalmist says "I will meditate on Your wonders". Praise God from whom all blessings flow! I'm so grateful He put these urgings in me to lead me to His answer--"Be still and know that I am God." I KNOW He is God when I take time to meditate on His greatness as I've read in His Word, His faithfulness to me and others, to remember how far He has brought me and what He's brought me through, to take one verse and "lean into it" (as Foster says) taking it into myself and making it a part of me, and when I just sit quietly before Him. When I take time just to "be" in His Presence. Glory!

No comments: