Thursday, July 3, 2008

He Will Take Great Delight In You




“The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Zephaniah 3:14-17

Wondering what a hawk and these yellow birds have to do with Zephaniah 3:14-17? Well, last year on May 19, I was outside in my backyard with my camera. It was around 7 pm and I had been thinking about all the unique opportunities God had given me to take pictures of his creation. He had led me outside on more than one occasion to witness something that He knew would bring joy to my heart. I can't explain these urgings to stop what I was doing, grab my camera, and go out the back door any other way. And each time I paid attention to these urgings and walked outside, I captured a special moment. Like the baby mockingbird hiding in my rosebush, the baby robin fluttering on the ground, and the woodpecker suddenly landing on the fence right by my side. And then there was the time when a hawk I'd been trying to capture flew right over my head, and I whispered "Oh, God, please bring him back," and a few minutes later I caught movement in my peripheral vision and the hawk had landed in my sycamore tree. True story. Anyway, I was praising and thanking God for giving me these opportunities and for delighting me in this way when all of a sudden, over the treetops I saw these yellow birds flying silently toward me. There must have been 15 or 20. I found out later they were cedar waxwings. I'd never seen cedar waxwings in real life. They landed in the sycamore tree and stayed there while I snapped pictures, laughing and praising God all the while. I had the most incredible sense of wonder and joy and amazement. Then they flew away. My husband didn't get to see them, but the next evening we were sitting on the patio swing, and I glanced up and the waxwings were back. They stayed a few minutes and then they were gone. They did not return. I was so glad my husband got to see them, too. Isn't God amazing? Isn't He just too cool for words?

2 comments:

Jill said...

oh Joni! how AWESOME!!!!!
your pics are beautiful~ and your post is so amazing :) those moments shared between just you and God are the most precious aren't they??? i love that He brought the hawk back for and that your husband got to see the waxings too!!! just amazing!!
God is SO GOOD!!!
love ya!!
jill

Technonana said...

Joni... I love this post!!
I am a bird watcher and feeder, too!! Though I have to fight the squirrels to keep food in the feeders...
Amazingly one afternoon, as I was sitting on my back porch, a female hawk landed in my back yard just a few feet from me... I had never seen a hawk on the ground.. don't know what she was after, but she was beautiful to behold.. and yes our God is Amazing!!