Thursday, January 1, 2009

Blessings for a Happy New Year!

I am so looking forward to 2009! I love new beginnings, and I feel as if I'm having one with the Lord, as well as with myself. I'm resolved this year to be more organized and I started getting ready a few weeks ago. I found a memory verse system that makes it easy to keep and review Scripture throughout the month and year that you've memorized. I have memorized many verses in the past, but now find that I can't recall them easily or I forget the reference. So I'm looking forward to seeing if this system works.

I'm also resolved to go deeper in my relationship with the Lord. I've asked Him to please disciple me, and I already feel different inside. I've committed to memory a verse that I've also been praying to God. It's Psalm 119:133 "Direct my footsteps according to Your word; let no sin rule over me." (NIV) I've felt for awhile that I've not been experiencing victory over some old sins--I've forgotten that, as Paul said, I am no longer a slave to sin but a slave to Christ! I've been listening to my own self instead of to God's Word. I want that to change. I don't want to be in charge!!!! Been there, done that! I want the Lord to direct my footsteps, be the Watchman on the walls of my mind and heart, and to reign fully and completely in me. I want to be rooted and grounded in His love and to know this love that surpasses understanding. I want to be Spirit-fed and Spirit-led! I want more of Jesus!

The wild thing about this feeling I've had about going deeper with Jesus and wanting to memorize Scripture is that Beth Moore has recently posted on her blog that she wanted to memorize more Scripture and have a "Jesus-year" in 2009. I read her post grinning because I felt like she had read my mind. She's invited us all to memorize two Scriptures a month with her. Today we were to post the Scripture we chose for the first 2 weeks. Mine is Psalm 9:10 "Those who know Your Name will trust in You, for You, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek You." (NIV) On the 15th, we'll post the next verse we're going to memorize for the next 2 weeks. I am so excited about this. Now I have sisters in Christ who are memorizing Scripture, too, and I have a system in place so that I will be able to review all the ones I'll memorize. This has just all come together--I know it's a God-thing!!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Happy New Year Joni!!!

I pray the Lord will pour down His blessings on you and your family througout this new year!!

I am excited about doing the scripture memory with the siestas too!!!

love you!
jill