Friday, February 20, 2009

Scripture Memory

Beth Moore has challenged those who follow her blog to memorize 24 Scriptures this year: two every month. (See link to her blog on right--it's not too late to join.) She said you could also choose more than just one verse, which I find I'm doing more and more.

The verses that I've felt impressed by God to memorize have been so helpful to me these past two months and the more I read and recite them and pray them, the more deeply they become embedded in my belief system--which is the goal after all. Jesus wants His words to remain in us. (See John, chapters 14, 15, 16) So as part of reciting them, I thought I'd type all I've learned here from memory. Here goes:

Psalm 119:133 Direct my footsteps according to Your Word. Let no sin rule over me. (NIV)

Psalm 9:10 Those who know Your Name will trust in You, for You, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek You. (NIV)

Ephesians 3:16-21
I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Now to Him Who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. (NIV)(I double-checked myself and had to correct my punctuation marks. Rats!)

Colossians 2:6;7b;9-10
Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him...overflowing with gratitude. For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him, you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority. (NASB)

And this is what I've memorized so far for my verses for February 15 to February 28:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8--Love is patient. Love is kind. Love does not envy. Love does not boast. It is not proud. It is not rude. It is not self-seeking. It is not easily angered. It keeps no record of wrongs..... There's more, but I haven't mastered it all yet.

Something interesting happened this morning as I was memorizing those "love" verses. I saw that these are qualities belonging to God because God is love. And I realized these were qualities I struggle with most. I needed to ask forgiveness from God for the occasions just recently where I was not patient with my loved ones, I was not kind to strangers, I struggle with envy of those who seem to have a closer relationship with the Lord, I don't always open my mouth and give God the glory, I struggle with pride--wanting to be right and people to know I'm right, I've been rude, I've been self-seeking, and just recently (Monday) someone hurt my feelings and I've been asking God to heal the hurt and anger it's caused in my heart. Sometimes when I pray for forgiveness of my sins, my mind draws a blank when I try to get specific but these verses sure helped bring them to mind this morning.

I so want to be like Christ--to reflect His character and His qualities. I saw very clearly this morning that I desperately need to be filled with His love--the love of 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. Only then can I live in victory over my flesh. Only then can I ever hope to spread everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of Christ. After praying along those lines, I sensed a relief, a sense of peace. Our God is so faithful. Who is like our God? A loving Father who hears the cries of His children and helps them to grow and change. Not only for their peace and joy and victory, but so others may see and know and understand that He is the Great I AM!

No comments: