Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May 26, 2009

This morning I went outside for my quiet time, and after I had prayed, I felt overwhelmed with all the problems and concerns I had just brought to God. So much sadness in our lives. So many trials to overcome. I asked Jesus to help me leave these problems and concerns at His feet and trust Him with them. But I still felt down. Then I read my devotional in Streams in the Desert. And there, on the entry for May 26, I found that as the Israelites dug for a well in the desert, they sang praises to God—and they unearthed a spring flowing beneath them, and it became a well, and they were refreshed in the desert. I sat and meditated on that for awhile.

As the people dug, they sang praises to God. Before He answered, they sang praises to God. And they were rewarded with refreshing water. I realized that I had not sung praises this morning. The Israelites fully expected God to answer and provide before they saw evidence of His answer or provision. Did I? I am the world’s worst at concentrating on my problems and the problems of others. I get so focused on the negative that I don’t concentrate on the fact that God can and will provide. I don’t give Him the glory ahead of time.

So I began to praise God, and then a song came to my mind, “Grace, grace, God’s grace, grace that will pardon and cleanse within. Grace, grace, God’s grace, grace that is greater than all our sin.” As I sang, my mind opened up to just how much we are blessed as children of God, and I began to thank Him. I thanked Him for many things, but also for the morning, for a backyard I could sit in, for a sky I could look at, for the birds that sang in the treetops. I can’t tell you how my spirit lifted and the heaviness that dragged at my heart disappeared. I felt His joy again.

Yes, there are problems in our lives—huge ones! But we can trust them to our God and our spirits can be free to truly live out our day in Christ Jesus. Whatever is going on in our lives, we must remember that God is greater! Our strength for the day lies in remembering the greatness of our God. And while we sing His praises, we can expect to be refreshed, to be filled with streams of living water flowing within us. God's blessed Holy Spirit!

No comments: