Thursday, July 9, 2009

Celebration of Discipline

I've been spending less time on the computer and more time in God's Word and also reading books about the Holy Spirit and Christian living. Yesterday, I reread the chapter on Meditation in Celebration of Discipline by Foster. I really like this book. It teaches what Christians should focus on to assist or improve their daily walk with Christ. It surprises me how indoctrinated I can become in the culture that surrounds us today unless I make the effort to withdraw from it (and it is an effort) and instead indoctrinate myself with God's way of living in Christ. Today's culture of self-indulgence, endless activity, over-gratification, and financial anxiety is less appealing when I've let my mind meditate on God's goodness, love, and mercy. Stop a minute and think about what's on your mind. If your thinking has become confused, harried, fearful, self-centered, or impure like mine has been, then you might want to consider withdrawing for awhile, too. Get into the Word, meditate on the Truths that speak to your circumstances, and also read Bible-based Christian nonfiction that will build up or help improve your Bible study and walk with Christ. I can sense the difference in me already, and my mind has started speaking Truth to me again in the face of daily difficulties. I really need to hear Truth in my mind instead of anxious thoughts!

No comments: