Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Wrapping Up Me, Myself & Lies

My final Bible study day for Me, Myself, & Lies is tomorrow. I've gone back through the study and written down the main points for each week so that I will hopefully retain what I have learned. This is what I have for Week 1:

1. I decide what I tell myself. In other words, I can stop my thoughts when they are destructive and turn them into constructive thoughts. But it takes paying attention to what I'm telling myself. AND, it takes knowing God's Word so I will know what constructive thoughts I need. I can really get down on myself when I start speaking negative thoughts to myself. I keep verses handy so that I can re-focus my self-talk. In Me, Myself, & Lies, I studied some new verses that I will use in the future. I've learned from experience that by getting my list of Scriptures out that speak against fear, depression, and anxiety, and praying each one out loud or reading each one out loud to God, by the time I'm finished speaking the last one, my fear is gone and peace reigns. I feel loved. I feel that God is watching over me. I've spoken God's Truth to my soul. As Beth has said in Breaking Free: My Truth plus God's Truth equals freedom!

2. I should focus my meditations not on myself but on God. Psalm 19:14 “Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.” (KJV) When I meditate on problems around me and not on the strength of my God to handle those problems, I can easily get frustrated. I should always look at my problems in light of God's Word, not in the cavernous darkness of my own mind. I will never find lasting solutions there.

3. I will be able to tell what's in my heart by listening to what I say to my soul or out loud to others. "The mouth speaks from the overflow of the heart." Matt. 12:34(HCSB)

4. I love Jennifer's statement: "Who I am and what I struggle with are not the same thing." Focusing on God's thoughts about me will help change my thoughts about myself, no matter my condition or situation.

Psalm 40:5 says God's thoughts toward me are too numerous to count. Psalm 139:17 says God's thoughts are precioius to me. Isaiah 55:9 says God's thoughts are higher than mine. Jeremiah 29:11 says God's thoughts are of peace, hope, to prosper me, to give me a future. I just love Psalm 139 because it shows me how much God cares about me. I need to memorize that Psalm.

5. To establish godly thinking I must commit my mind to God (Proverbs 16:3) and rely on His Word. (Hebrews 4:12) Jennifer shared in this study that He hears me and cares about what I say to myself.(Psalm 55:17, Psalm 94:9) Psalm 139 says He knows my thoughts from afar. Realizing that God is aware of what I say in my mind makes me want to have a godly mind that much more.

6. Meditating on God's wonders, decrees, precepts, and promises will keep my mind aligned with His. (Psalm 119:27, 48, 78, 148) Meditating on God's Word lifts my mood and my thoughts. Philippians 4:8 "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." (NIV)

Well, that's all for Week 1!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Joni,
I found your blog when doing a search for Me, Myself, and Lies. I just started the study at my church, and I love it!! Thank you for your reflections! I pray you'll continue to be encouraged as God's word penetrates!
Blessings,
Heather from CT