Friday, September 11, 2009

Come Thirsty

“If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” John 7:37-38 (NKJV)

"Dehydrated hearts send desperate messages. Snarling tempers. Waves of worry. Whispers of guilt and fear. Hopelessness. Sleeplessness. Loneliness. Resentment. Irritability. Insecurity. But God doesn't want us to live like this. What water can do for your body, Jesus can do for your heart. Receive Christ's Work on the cross. Receive the Energy of his Spirit. Receive his Lordship over your life. Receive his unending, unfailing Love. Come (to Jesus), and come thirsty." Max Lucado, Come Thirsty: Receive What Your Soul Longs For

I love God's Word because it is true. I've been relying on His Word, on the Scriptures I've memorized this year, and really trusting and leaning on Christ. Faith was put into action when I had to take my mother to the doctor yesterday. For 2 days, I'd been worried about the elevator I'd have to take to the 5th floor where Mother's doctor was. The elevator was very slow and I have problems with claustrophobia. (I was locked in a toy chest by a cousin when I was little.) I knew the elevator was slow because I'd taken Mother to another doctor on the 3rd floor of that building last Spring--I was sweating bullets by the time the door finally opened. So Wednesday morning about 3:30 am, I awoke with that fear in my mind. "You can't do it, I told myself. Not to the 5th floor. You won't make it." Agony. Torment. I was trapped.

And then I started recalling Scripture--God's promises, "Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you; Fear not, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you." And also, "You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You because he trusts in You." Did I trust God? Yes, I did. He had brought me through so much. Did I believe His Word was true?Yes, I did. So, I allowed myself to lean into the words and take comfort from them. I was so grateful for His Word. And the fear of riding that elevator vanished. I felt God's love. I felt His peace. And it stuck with me all day Wednesday. Then I woke at 4 a.m. Thursday morning and had a wonderful hour with the Lord. I felt at peace, protected. I put my spiral of Scripture in my purse, and I looked ahead to victory.

The enemy tried to destroy my peace, of course. My husband was afraid it would rain on us, my mother was afraid we'd be late so she asked me to come earlier to get her. My dad, who was sick, was wearing a heart monitor because Tuesday his doctor heard a heart murmur. Normally, I would've picked up on all this stress and anxiety and run with it--but not this day.

The enemy did not give up. As soon as Mother and I walked into the office building and stepped into the elevator, two men joined us. One had to stop on the 2nd floor and one on the 3rd floor, making our ride even longer. They both mentioned how slow the elevator was. I smiled at the enemy's obvious tactic and focused my mind on God's presence with me. I didn't focus on the length of the ride or watch the numbers at the top, praying for us to finally reach "5". I talked with Mother and just trusted in my God and His Word. I "stayed my mind" on Him. (KJV) We were on the 5th floor before I knew it. Later, after Mother's appointment, no one else stopped the elvator on our way down, so the ride was even shorter. I was so excited. I know to some people this experience may seem like a simple thing. But to me, it was huge! I praise God, my heavenly Father, for His presence, His peace, His faithfulness and for my victory.

1 comment:

beautyinallthings said...

I just found your blog. I found it by searching for When the Lion Roars because I couldn't remember who wrote it but I had written it in my verse journal. Thank you for your inspiration. I too am learning how not to panic in all situations. My panic started 2 years ago. I have so many great tools I have learned from many great authors like: Beth Moore (I also took the Believing God series and begged God to not test me that I really would believe Him even if it required my all- that was when my panic started). Another one was Finding Freedom From Your Fears by H.Norman Wright. It is actually out of print but available on amazon. AMAZING book. Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer was excellent too. So many resources to guide us into a deeper trust with God. My favourite tool is my Concordance. When I am feeling like I need a refuge, I look up refuge and see when the Word says. I am down to 1/4 of my pills and doing great. It will always be a battle for my and I have my sword ready! Thanks for sharing. I will try to stop by soon again and not leave such a long comment!