Monday, September 7, 2009

Fearfully and Wonderfully Made

"I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made." Psalm 139:14

"It is possible to conceive of ourselves too narrowly, for there is far more to us than our genes and hormones, our emotions and aspirations, our jobs and ideals. There is God. Most, if not all, of what and who we are has to do with God. If we try to understand and form ourselves by ourselves we leave out most of ourselves." (from Eat This Book, by Eugene Peterson)

Most of my life I've tried to understand and form myself through reading self-help books and books on the subject of psychology. Trying to understand why I was the way I was proved unsatisfying. I never found the answers I was searching for. Trying to change myself by myself was also unsatisfying. I didn't know how to change the way I thought. I didn't know how to not be overly sensitive. I didn't know how to say "no" when someone asked me to take on a new responsibility. I didn't know how to stop my self-condemning thoughts. I didn't know how to raise my low self-esteem. I didn't know how to heal the deepest part of my soul. It wasn't until I started doing in-depth Bible studies by Beth Moore that I discovered that Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my faith, was the One who could heal my brokenness. When you're desperate for the healing of your mind, and positive changes in your personality, you will find it in God's Word.

No comments: