Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Blessed Difference

We are a blessed people. We have a living God who has chosen to give us of His Spirit so that we might truly live. The Holy Spirit is real and dwells within each believer. But how many of us are living and walking in His power? Isn't it strange that the one thing that sets our faith apart from others is the one thing that many of us have no idea how to fan into flame? I rarely hear a sermon on the desperate need we have for being filled with God before we go out into the world each day. The leading and guidance of the Holy Spirit isn't preached much any more. I believe that's why the attendance at my church has fallen. People look at us and see no difference in our way of living than anyone else's. Oh, that we would take seriously the command, "Be filled with the Spirit." (Eph. 5:18) I've recently made this my one goal--to know and love Jesus Christ so intimately, that I allow Him every morning to empty me of anything that is not of Him so that I may be filled with only Him. So that I may walk in Him, overflowing with gratitude and love (Col. 2:6).

I've discovered that if I pursue my own passions and interests more than spending time in God's Word and in sitting before God in praise and prayer, more than meditating and memorizing His Word, I eventually die to all things spiritual. I literally lose my energy and love of life. I become more self-centered and irritible and less likely to be a blessing to anyone. And I open myself up to anxiety and depression because those seem to be my areas of weakness.

How I want to be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power!!! There is truly no other way for me to live than in Him. I've recently recommitted myself to my Lord, Jesus Christ, and to asking Him to fill me every day with His Spirit, and I have felt a renewal of His peace and love. Precious thoughts of Him have returned to my mind. Good dreams come in the night. I feel encouraged and blessed. Truly, we have a treasure in our jars of clay--a deposit of our inheritance to come. All because of the love of Christ Jesus who loved us and gave Himself for us." (Gal. 2:20)

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

Amen, Sister.

danemih15 said...

I came across your blog recently when I was googling verses on depression. About 2 months ago I had a miscarriage and found myself in the slimy pit that David talks about. I knew that God was the only one that would be able to help me out and your verses have helped me tremendously! Thanks for that. And since then I've been checking back and am enjoying your insights. Thank you, you are a blessing.