Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Deeper Look at Ephesians 3:16-21

Ephesians 3:16-21 (NIV):I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

20Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.


I pray that out of His glorious riches…

The LORD God our Father has glorious riches that He freely shares with us.

He may strengthen you with power…

We cannot live in our own strength; we need His power.

Through His Spirit…

The power comes through His Holy Spirit, and His alone. The Spirit that He freely gives once we’ve accepted Christ Jesus as our Lord and Savior.

In your inner being…

The real “me”, my spirit deep inside me that needs God’s nourishment and tender care.

So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.

Jesus Christ, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace, the Savior of the world, wants to make my heart His dwelling place (His tabernacle), and it can only happen through my faith in Him—in Who He is--the living Son of God and my Heavenly Father.

And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love…

Once we’ve accepted and received the precious love of Christ, we become like trees whose roots go down deep. We cannot be toppled no matter how much we are tossed by the storms of life or tempted by the devil’s schemes. God has planted us and firmly established us in His love.

May have power, together with all the saints…

The love of God empowers us—we can’t get this power on our own.

To grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ…

The sign of the cross—oh, that we could truly grasp the love that compelled Jesus to become the perfect sacrifice for our sins. This love is so wide and long, the ends never meet. And it goes so high and deep that nothing is beyond its reach. It’s an everlasting love, a supernatural love, purer and more precious than we can humanly comprehend.

And to know this love that surpasses knowledge…

This kind of knowing is experiential. We were meant to experience the deep, deep love of Christ. Imagine it…God WANTS us to know this love—to experience it down in the deepest corners of our hearts, down in our souls, down to our very marrow. The devil, our enemy, doesn’t want us to experience this love and will do everything to distract us and keep us from seeking it. Because once we experience this love, we will be overcomers--able to endure all manner of trials and sufferings, and our faith will come forth as pure gold. Even though we may fall, we will keep getting up because we know that we know that we know that God loves us and has a plan and purpose for our lives. Pray for God to reveal this love to you. Pray for it daily. Ask and keep on asking, Jesus said. In your daily quiet time with Him, take some time to just sit before Him. Wait on the Lord. It’s His good pleasure to reveal Himself to you.

That you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

This experiential love of Christ enables us to be so filled with God that we are brought into complete oneness with Him. This unity is awesome and sacred and allows us to hear from and be directed by our Lord. All strivings cease, all agendas evaporate, all selfish motives melt away, and it’s only all about Jesus, the Great I AM!

Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine…

God is able…able to do the unimaginable. He is not limited by human knowledge. He is all that we could possibly imagine that is good and right and holy…and yet, He is even more than that! His power is boundless, limitless, and there is no evil in Him.

According to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus forever and ever! Amen.

It is God’s power and His power alone that works in us. Without Him, Jesus said, we can do nothing. Imagine what life would be like if every day we awoke and asked God to fill us with His Holy Spirit and for Him to lead us that day—and then walked in expectation of seeing God at work in our lives. May we ever give Him the glory for what He has accomplished, is accomplishing, and will accomplish in our lives. He is worthy!

“Who is like you, a people saved by the LORD? He is your shield and helper and your glorious sword.” Deut. 33:29

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Joni, I just wanted to thank you for your openess and insight as you share your struggle with depression and anxiety. I came across your site about 2 weeks ago as I was searching for other believers who have struggled. I have also struggled myself, on and off, for some 20 years with panic, GAD, and depression. I am a Pastor of a fairly large church in MA and so I find these emotional struggles very challanging. I was on medication for about 19 of the 20 years and that helped some. I then went off due to some side effects. Today I went to see a Dr re going back on. She suggested a new medication called Pritiq but I just am really struggling with what to do. I do feel that so much of my problem comes down to a trust issue but also know that this has been a family "curse" and could be partly genetic. I've spent alot of time reading and rereading through your posts. I'm striving to just give God my mind and emotions and trust. I know all the right answers, all the right things, but just can't seem to get those beliefs from my head to my heart. Thank you again for being so open. Your insights adn experiances are very inspiring. DW

Joni said...

Hi, DW. I truly believe the fiercest battles we will ever fight are the ones we fight in our minds. But we don't fight alone. We have the Holy Spirit inside us and we have our Lord Jesus Christ to intercede for us. I'm learning to take my battles seriously and to put on the armor of God daily. He is our Strength and He is our Refuge. God's Word is our weapon and His Presence is our security. I pray God will reveal Himself to you as you continue to rely on Him and His Word.