Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Difference For Me Between Victory and Defeat

When I stop believing that God loves me, I get myself into trouble--all manner of doubts and fears surface, and I start being afraid of God and of my circumstances. Instead of focusing on His love for me and worshiping Him, I stop seeking Him or relying upon Him because I've convinced myself God really doesn't care about me. If I continue to dwell on these thoughts and ignore my relationship with God, I lose my sense of being His child. I may shorten my quiet time and not wait for Him to speak to me through His Word or in prayer. Because I no longer feel close to Him, I conclude He really doesn't want me. Anxiety and fear soon take over. If I let this cycle continue, despair sets in. It's a negative cycle of thinking that I can't break until I stop listening to myself, pick up my Bible, and focus on God's Word.

I love facts! I can cling to them when my thoughts would try to make me believe differently. These facts can't be altered: 1) Jesus Christ loved me so much He came down to earth, suffered, and died for me. 2) Before He died, He prayed for me. 3)Because He rose again, I have a beautiful inheritance coming. 4) He is all I need and will provide for me. I can't "think" away these facts. I love that. No matter how much I may doubt God loves me, all I have to do is read His Word, and it's right there in black & white. God has spoken it over and over. He never tires of telling me when I need to hear it. Here are just a few verses:


Titus 3:4-7 "But when the kindness and love of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of His mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life."

John 14:21,23 "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him. Jesus replied, 'If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.'"

Romans 8:35,39 "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."


Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

No comments: