Saturday, January 9, 2010

Skies, Stars, Trees, A Random Post

I have always loved the beginning verses of Psalm 19: "The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands." I guess because I love the sky so much. One reason I enjoy the beach is because it is one place where I can see so much of the sky. I've always enjoyed gazing at the stars, too. My earliest remembrance is laying on the back of my neighbor's car while she and I tried to count them. Then in junior high, we did a unit on them and I learned Orion's name and formation. It became my favorite, probably because it is the easiest to identify. The first time I read that God "determines the numbers of the stars and calls them each by name" (Psalm 147), I was thrilled. It was like He had read my diary....I love trees, too. Big old oak trees and maple trees but by far, sycamore trees. There was a sycamore in my neighborhood that I used to climb and sit in when I wanted to be alone. I grew up in an abusive environment and this tree was my hiding place. I called it, "Old Faithful", because it was always there for me. It wasn't in my yard, but it was "my" tree. While reacquainting myself with the Bible several years ago, I came across the passage about Jesus and Zaccheus (sp?) who was in the sycamore tree; and suddenly, I was in that tree, too. I could picture it exactly. After my season of panic and depression, I came across Psalm 40, verses 1-4 and I felt it could've been an entry from my journal. That's what I love so much about the Bible. I find myself being delighted by it. My heart agrees with it. My spirit is encouraged by it, and my soul is restored by it. The evidence of God in creation speaks volumes to me....About His love, His watch-care, His beauty, His perfection, His wisdom, His sovereignty, and His holiness. "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy Name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits." (Psalm 103)

No comments: