Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Breaking Free - Updated

My Ladies' Winter Bible study group began last Tuesday. I was full of anticipation. Not because we had not done a Beth Moore Bible study since last Spring when we did Esther, although that was a part of it, but because what I learned in this Bible study when I did it on my own six years ago showed me how to defeat the enemy. (I won't even dignify him enough to capitalize the first "e".) This Bible study reinforced what I had learned in Believing God and then proceeded to teach me more about God and myself than I could have realized on my own. I adjusted my life according to what the Word said through this Bible study and by the grace and power of God was able to "break free" of the suffocating grip the enemy had on me. So, I was anxious to revisit portions of the study and also to see Beth's updated video and lessons.

Watching the introductory session last week, I was thrilled to see Beth's choice of scenery for her introduction. It was filmed at Oak Alley Plantation in Louisiana. She had filmed her intro from there 10 years ago, and since I have been to Oak Alley on one of my vacations, it was especially meaningful to me. I felt Beth and I were on the same page--both looking back to the wonders God had performed in our lives and anxious for Him to do a fresh work. A week and a half into the homework, my mind is once again filled with the wonder of our God. Beth's comments are always insightful and full of research, and the truth of Scripture is powerful.

As the Scriptures tell us in 2 Corinthians 3:18, we are being changed from glory to glory. It’s a process and not one that will be completed until He brings us to our eternal home. I will never NOT need to study God's Word. It washes my mind clean and soothes the aches in my heart. I love the Scriptures that remind me that the Spirit dwells in us and works in us so that we can know God personally and intimately and so that the world can see Him reflected in us. I want to know God more. I want to reflect His glory. I want to be all that He wants me to be. I know that the more I give of myself to Him the greater He will become in me, and that is my goal. To be closer, to hear His voice, to love Him deeply, to love others more perfectly, to fulfill His calling on my life.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog about your struggle with panic attacks. I would love to hear more about your experience. I've been dealing with this for nearly 6 years. Are you medication-free? Do you work outside your home? I will read more of your blog, too. Thanks again!

Joni said...

Hi, Lori! I am medication-free but still use xanax on an as-needed basis. I don't use it very often, but if I needed to take it more, I would have no qualms. God used medicine to heal Hezekiah in the Old Testament and Luke was a physician, lest we forget. My nervous system went through some heavy duty stuff for a long period of time (years), and although I can handle a good deal of stress now, I occasionally crumble. Usually, prayer and one .25 mg of xanax is all I need when that happens. I also try to get enough sleep, exercise, eat right, and I DON'T do caffeine. :)

Lori said...

I'm inspired by you. Tell me more about yourself. I promise I'm not a stalker! ;o)

I work for a Pregnancy Resource Center part time as the client services director. About once a month I think about quitting to give myself more time to dig deeper into God's word, and to also do more art.

I have two little girls who are 10 and 6.

How old are you? Kids? Where do you live? I think it's so cool that you have 27 followers on your blog!

Okay, that's all for now!

Joni said...

I'm an empty-nester with 2 grown children--no grandchildren on the horizon as yet. However, I do have a 5 lb. chihuahua that demands my attention. I live in the "Friendly State" of Texas. :)