Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Joy of the Lord

Sometimes I have so much I want to blog all at once and no time to do it. I have two experiences I want to share, but my time is limited so I will tell you about the latest one. Because of an arthritis flareup in my neck, I asked my doctor in January for exercises I could do to keep my neck from stiffening. She referred me to a physical therapist. I wasn't able to make an appointment until a few weeks later because of "a series of unfortunate events" which included my getting sick and my car needing to be taken care of. Finally, I made an appointment for this past Thursday. I was a little apprenhensive. By this time I had no pain in my neck at all (Thank you, Jesus) and I didn't want to do anything to make it sore. But I didn't want to have another flare-up like before so I prayed about it. Over the next few days I felt like I should go ahead and not cancel my appointment.

On Thursday, my therapist introduced himself and while explaining my problem I happened to mention that when I bow my head to pray in church sometimes my head "hangs up" because my neck won't bend, then something gives way and I can bow all the way.

Immediately, he perked up. "What church do you go to?" he asked me. And then he said with a big smile, "I'm a born-again believer as of last year!" I smiled back and said, "That's wonderful!" And he nodded and began to tell me all about how his life had changed. His eyes were lit up and there was such joy in his face. The whole atmosphere changed. He said, "You know, you gotta stay in the Word. There's so much good stuff in there about how to deal with life." I agreed wholeheartedly and told him how the Lord stopped my panic with Scriptures, and then he told me about discussing Scriptures with his little girl. We discussed Christian music and books we'd both read. Once he stopped and said, "I feel like I've known you all my life," and I said, "That's the Holy Spirit." He started telling me how the Lord was answering his prayers--how he prayed about everything now and felt happy all the time. He ended up telling me about his experience with depression (which I could totally relate!), and then he stopped in mid-sentence and said, "I don't know why I'm telling you all this," and then laughed. We ended up talking 3 hours but it didn't seem that long. I left feeling such joy and very much alive! It was an awesome experience and my faith was increased just listening to his testimony. I thanked God for such an unexpected "divine" appointment. Out of six therapists at that clinic, God arranged for me to be matched with him. And to think I would've missed meeting him altogether if I hadn't made that appointment in the first place. God is so good!!!

No comments: