Friday, April 2, 2010

Good Friday

My husband and I finished watching "Jesus of Nazareth" tonight, a mini-series that aired in the 70's and that has been my favorite movie about the life of Christ since I first saw it. It is about 6 hours long so we watched 2 hours every day in order to end tonight. I've also been reading the Scripture passages each night for the last week of Christ on earth. As a result, Easter really seems like Easter to me. My spirit has been fed and my heart tendered all over again for my Lord Jesus and the price He paid so that I could live free from sin and the fear of death and have eternal life. I always think about what Jesus said when I hear or read those two words: eternal life. He said,

"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." (John 17:3) (NIV)

I zero-in on "that they may know you". That's eternal life--knowing the Father and the Son. The Greek word for "know" in this verse refers to an intimate knowledge. God wants us to be intimately connected with Him and with His Son. It is an experiential knowledge--we were meant to experience God through the Holy Spirit that dwells in us, which is the Spirit of Jesus Christ. This is the kind of relationship I desire. It takes reading God's Word every day, stopping to meditate on God during my day, and spending time with God in prayer and in sheer adoration and worship.
He is so worthy!

When I was living daily with anxiety and panic, I spent much alone-time with God. I enjoyed such peace and was totally focused on Him because I was desperate to know Him. He allowed me to experience His grace. His Word was leaping off the page at me whenever I read it. Prayers were being answered. I felt totally looked after by Him. He surpassed my dreams of knowing Him because He allowed me to experience His love and His favor and to sense His Presence. Today, in order to spend the kind of time I need to with God, I have to give up some things. But I've discovered that the more I give up, the closer I feel to God. Suddenly, it is not such a sacrifice to get up earlier or miss a television show, or stay off the computer to spend more time with my Lord. I was reminded this week while doing Breaking Free: Updated homework, He is the Potter and I am the clay. I must keep myself on the Potter's wheel.

No comments: