Thursday, April 15, 2010

He Is Everything I Need And More

Psalm 18:1-2 "I love you, LORD; you are my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my Savior; my God is my rock in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety." (New Living Translation)

These verses are becoming so meaningful to me. I came across them in March, and I have been reading them at night before going to bed. The other day, I prayed them when I first woke up because I had so many other thoughts going on after having a bad dream. I have a vivid imagination and feelings linger from bad dreams long after I wake up, if I let them. I've learned to reach for my Bible or my spiral of verses during those times so I can refocus my mind on my Strength and my Protector and pray to Him for help or just to praise Him because He is always with me. I've discovered once again that when I think more about God than anything else, I'm not tense or worried. And when I read verses about how strong and powerful He is, He just grows bigger and bigger in my mind; and my problems no longer seem huge. Anyway, I prayed Psalm 18:1-2 and my thoughts cleared and I was content.

As a survivor of panic, every word in those verses mean so much to me; but most especially the words "my place of safety". I can be myself with God. He always welcomes me. I can let out my emotions which I tend to bottle up inside. I can tell Him my disappointments, my sorrows, my shattered dreams, my hurts, fears, doubts. There is nothing I cannot tell Him because He understands me. He created me. He knows me better than I know myself. And then, after I get all that out in the open, withholding nothing from Him, I'm ready to listen. And that's when true healing begins.

Jesus heals my hurts, changes my attitude, purifies my mind, binds up my wounded heart. He is everything I need and more. Praise you, Lord. Praise you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post Joni, I apprecite you taking the time to share with us your spiritual insights especially when addressing panic and anxiety.