Monday, April 19, 2010

Through Our Knowledge of Him

2 Peter 1:3 "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness." (NIV)

Proverbs 9:10 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. (NIV)

Isaiah 33:6 "He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure." (NIV)

It is through our knowledge of God, the Holy One, the Lord Jesus Christ that divine power is obtained. This is the power we need for living and for godliness. This is the power that will help dispel the enemy's lies that threaten to overtake our minds when we are faced with dangerous, fearful, anxious or stressful situations. And this is the power we need to pray in the Spirit according to our needs, others' needs, and in accordance with God's Word.

We will never not need the knowledge of God. Where do we get this knowledge? Proverbs 9:10 and Isaiah 33:6 tell us that the fear of the LORD is the key. The fear of the LORD is the reverent awe of God. It is seeing Him high and lifted up--exalting Him in our circumstances and in our minds. It is seeing Him as being in complete control, all-wise and all-knowing, and bowing to His authority even when we don't understand what He is doing, because He is our God and He is our Lord. This does not come naturally, especially if you tend to be a control freak, like me. I grew up in an environment where nothing was in my control. As a result, whenever I saw an opportunity to have authority, I took it. It became a habit and is still a source of struggle for me. But I've found comfort in the verses that remind me to trust in the Lord. Our God is trustworthy. Our enemy, the devil, would have us think otherwise. He tries to lead us astray through deceit, distortion, and false perceptions. We must remember that Jesus called him the father of lies. (John 8:44)

I'm all for training my mind in the knowledge of God and His Truth. The more I read God's Word, the more I'm led to release control and pray for God to take over, and the more I pray this prayer, the more powerful my prayers become because the Holy Spirit in me is being fanned into flame. Letting go is part of knowing, believing and trusting God and His sovereignty. I come to truly know Him as I allow Him complete access to my life, as well as my heart and mind. He proves Himself to be my heavenly Father, my Good Shepherd, my Savior and my God. He treats me with love and kindness and compassion. He restores my soul, renews my mind with wonderful thoughts of His glory, and puts joy in my heart. Through my intimate knowledge of Him, I am restored and I am set free. "The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace." (Romans 8:6) and "Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." (2 Corinthians 3:17)

Let His freedom bell ring for you this week! :)

No comments: