Thursday, April 15, 2010

Unfailing Love, Continued (Revised)

The first time I posted this, I left some things out and it sounded disjointed to me, so I've revised this post and deleted the other one.


Having said what I said yesterday about feelings, I want to talk today about experiencing God's unfailing love. God meets our needs, and we need to be filled with His Holy Spirit. From this morning's homework in Breaking Free, I was reminded of these facts:

1. God is Spirit. (John 4:24)
2. God is Love. (1 John 4:16)
3. When someone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in him. (1 John 4:13-15)
4. Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. (2 Corin. 3:17)
5. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. (John 3:36)

I realized that this is how I can know if I'm letting the Holy Spirit have control of my life--am I living in freedom from my weaknesses, (not perfectly but consistently), and am I experiencing the unfailing love of God? If Christ is in me, and I'm not quenching His Spirit through my unrighteous anger or fears, then it will be well with my soul. I will be filled with the fruit of the Spirit. (Gal. 5:22-23) This is how I felt when I first began walking with God. In the years since then, He has allowed situations in my life to test and refine my faith. And I haven't always passed with flying colors. Giving up my will of how I want things to be is almost always a struggle.

Since I have been experiencing some anxiety recently, (my husband can no longer see to work), I am obviously forgetting that Christ is in control of our future, not me, and that my job is to focus on His presence in me and His love for me and my husband. This morning I asked God to forgive me for quenching His Holy Spirit and to fill me, and my heart has been satisfied. Now I want His love to so fill me that it spills out onto others--no matter what is going on in my life. Then I will know I am walking in the Spirit and abiding in Christ. As Beth suggested in today's homework, I am going to ask for this filling every morning: "Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days." I cannot wait to see how God will satisfy me each morning with His unfailing love.

Yes, there may be times when I cannot sense or feel His Presence, and during those times of testing I pray I will remember to stand firm and not waver in my confidence in Christ. In the meantime, I am convinced that God wants us to enjoy Him and to enjoy being a child of God and to offer Him the sacrifice of praise.

I give you praise, Father God, for testifying with my spirit this morning that I am your child. For I have not received a spirit that makes me a slave again to fear, but I have received the Spirit of sonship. And by him I cry, 'Abba, Father.' The Spirit Himself testifies with my spirit that I am God's child. (Ro. 8:15-16)

No comments: