Thursday, May 20, 2010

Bible Verses for Panic, Depression, and Anxiety

OCTOBER 7, 2010: I have just discovered I cannot copy these verses in the New International Version unless they comprise 25% or less of the completed work, so most of the verses will be in the King James Version which is public domain. The few verses from the New International Version require this citation:

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.




I posted these in May 2007 and would like to post them again to keep them current and easy to find. These verses changed my thought-life, my prayer-life, my relationship with God, gave me courage, and helped me see that my panic, depression, and anxiety were not stronger than my God, even though I had previously thought so! The reason I began this blog was to share these verses with others who might need them. I used to read them daily and on anxious days I also read them just before bed. God's Word is alive and active and when spoken out loud--powerful. (Hebrews 4:12) After completing three Beth Moore Bible Studies and reading these verses daily for about 4 months, I found the courage to pray these verses out loud to God during a panic attack, and the panic left and God's peace flooded in. It took about 20 minutes to pray these verses and when I'd finished, the fear had gone. The next time I had an attack, it took about 10 minutes before I felt the fear leave, and the next time it took all of one verse prayed out loud before the fear left! I could scarcely believe it and ran and told my husband who was in the bedroom getting ready for work.

Please don't think I am against medication for anxiety, panic, and depression. I am not. But I was medication-sensitive and couldn't tolerate the side effects of the SSRIs prescribed to me. I tried them all over a two-year period. I was desperate for relief! However, all I could tolerate was a low-dose sedative. And I took it as needed for about 3 years, and then, when things went from bad to worse, 3 times a day--until I realized, after being in God's Word daily for over a year and praying these Scriptures, I was skipping doses because I'd forget to take them. I'd forget to take them because I stopped experiencing the inner "vibrating" that signaled to me that the dose had worn off and it was time for another. I'd get busy and go my merry way and then realize suddenly that I'd missed the noon dose. I simply didn't need as much of the sedative. Finally, I was able to stop taking it altogether. But I didn't stop suddenly. And I talked to my doctor about it.


These are the Bible studies by Beth Moore that helped increase my faith and my belief and helped me discover who my God really was and what He could do. To discover who Jesus really was and how to have a relationship with Him through the Holy Spirit: Believing God, Breaking Free, To Live is Christ. I also took time out of every day to worship God and sit before Him in humility and silence. I surrendered my will to Him in everything--even panic.

The verses below breathe life and truth and God's peace into me every time I read them and, as I said earlier, stopped my panic attacks. I pray they do the same for others.

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour. Since you are precious and honored in my sight and because I love you.” Isaiah 43:1-4

(Example of how to pray the verses: Dear Father, I will not fear because you have redeemed me. You have summoned me by name, I am yours. Thank you that when I pass through the waters, You will be with me, and when I pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over me. Thank you, Father, that when I walk through the fire I will not be burned; the flames will not set me ablaze. For You are the LORD my God, the Holy One of Israel, my Saviour. Thank you that I am precious and honored in Your sight. Thank you for loving me so much. Isaiah 43:1-4)

'Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.' Isaiah 41:10 (NASB)

“For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, ‘Do not fear; I will help you’”. Isaiah 41:13

“As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous. Be strong and very courageous. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:5, 6, 7, 9

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Phillipians 4:6-7

“For God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” 2 Timothy 1:7

“But whoever listens to me will live in safety and be at ease, without fear of harm.” Proverbs 1:33

“Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7 (Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. AMP)


“Those who know Your name will trust in You, for You, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek You.” Psalm 9:10

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:27

“God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear.” Psalm 46:1-2

“When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.” Psalm 94:19

“I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.” Psalm 4:8

“You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.” Isaiah 26:3 (NKJV)

“I, even I, am He who comforts you.“ Isaiah 51:12

“The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.” Zephaniah 3:14-17

“For He Himself is our peace.” Ephesians 2:12

“The fruit of righteousness will be peace; the effect of righteousness will be quietness and confidence forever.” Isaiah 32:17

“My people will live in peaceful dwelling places, in secure homes, in undisturbed places of rest.” Isaiah 32:18

“He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day. ” Psalm 91:1-2, 4-5

“Because he loves me,” says the LORD, “I will rescue him; I will protect him for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him, and show him my salvation.” Psalm 91:14-16

“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.” Galatians 5:1

“God has said, ‘Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. So we say with confidence, ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.’” Hebrews 13:5-6

“Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,” says the LORD, who has compassion on you.” Isaiah 54:10

“There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.” 1 John 4:18

“’For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.’” Jeremiah 29:11-13

“I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which He has called you, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and His incomparably great power for us who believe.” Ephesians 1:18

“I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” Ephesians 3:16-19

“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:38-39

“His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and goodness.” 2 Peter 1:3

“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations forever and ever! Amen.” Ephesians 3:20-21

“Finally, be strong (be confident) in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. (anxiety, fear) For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.” Ephesians 6: 10-17

“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God! And that is what we are!” 1 John 3:1

“One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving.” Psalm 62:11-12

“Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea— the LORD on high is mighty.” Psalm 93:4
"He trusts in the LORD; let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him." Psalm 22:8

"The LORD be exalted, who delights in the well-being of his servant." Psalm 35:27

“The LORD delights in those who fear (reverent awe) him, who put their hope in his unfailing love. Psalm 147:11

THESE ARE ADDITIONAL VERSES:

“The LORD gives strength to His people; the LORD blesses His people with peace.” Psalm 29:11

“I will listen to what God the LORD will say; He promises peace to His people.” Psalm 85:8

“Say to those with fearful hearts, ‘Be strong, do not fear; your God will come….He will come to save you.” Isaiah 35:4

No comments: