Wednesday, May 19, 2010

David and His God

"Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me; O LORD, make haste to help me! Let them be ashamed and brought to mutual confusion Who seek to destroy my life; Let them be driven backward and brought to dishonor Who wish me evil. Let them be confounded because of their shame, Who say to me, 'Aha, aha!' Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; Let such as love Your salvation say continually, 'The LORD be magnified!' But I am poor and needy; Yet the LORD thinks upon me. You are my help and my deliverer; Do not delay, O my God." Psalm 40:13-17 (NKJV)

Earlier this year (I just found my notes), my pastor spoke the following regarding David and how Psalm 40 also applies to believers in Christ:

David is broken-hearted; discouraged. He doesn't sense the presence of God. Like David, we will seek to know God intimately when we hurt because we will not be satisfied until we find Him. Discouragement can come to us even though we've known God intimately. You can know God and be broken-hearted, but the way to cope is to turn to God--seek Him and find Him. Meditating on God's Word helps to heal the hurts--meditate on the promises of the Word. David comes to know the victory that is ours in God--the power of God walking with us. Sometimes Satan gets involved to convince you to believe God doesn't love you or care about what is happening. Ask God and tell God how you feel--God can help, heal, and restore. Even in the midst of silence or difficulties, the power of God is at work in our heart and lives. We must trust Him. Keep on talking to the Lord and learn to listen in the silence. God's love is always drawing and leading. We come to Him with our hearts and God responds to our hearts. God will make Himself known. God's love and peace meets the needs of our hearts. We find confidence as David did. David comes to a maturity in his walk with God. We can follow David's example.

2 comments:

kylie said...

This was exactly what I needed to hear today...thank you!!!

Joni said...

You are most welcome, kylie. Sometimes walking by faith and not by sight is not easy but knowing that we have a loving and powerful God will help to get us through! Like Paul says, "We do not lose heart! We do not give up!" Our God will come to help us.