Monday, May 10, 2010

One of Those Weeks

It was one of those weeks last week--you know the kind--lots to be done and not enough time to do it all. We had some remodeling done (still not finished) and that put my grocery shopping, gardening, and housecleaning on hold until Friday and Saturday morning. I woke up Sunday morning and felt like I'd been hit by a truck. There was no way I was going to be able to get up and go to Sunday School and church. To make matters worse, my eyes were watery and itchy and I felt my throat getting scratchy.

But it was Mother's Day and my son and his sweet wife were in and my oldest son was coming for lunch as well as my parents. I prayed to God for strength. I told Him how much I needed His help this morning. At 8:30, I slowly got up and walked into the bathroom and washed my face. I kept telling myself that God would energize me because He knew I wanted to worship Him on this particular Sunday for the blessings He had given me, and He also knew that I needed to get the roast going in the crock pot and make preparations for dinner after church. Self-pitying thoughts kept coming, (I was so tired), but I kept reminding myself I had the Spirit of the living God in me. Amazingly enough, I was able to get my makeup on after putting Optive drops in my eyes, and my hair took only a few minutes to fix instead of the usual 15-20 minutes. I knew God was with me.

I put the roast in the crock pot and rushed out the door. I was 30 minutes late to Sunday School, but that was okay. I had only missed the large group meeting and my class hadn't started yet. I left a little early to get ready for choir and it dawned on me I hadn't eaten breakfast. I made it through the parent/child dedication ceremony and every mother in the sanctuary and choir loft was given a pink or purple and white carnation. Mine was pink. The stem was bent so that the flower flopped over and I smiled. You may be bent over, I thought, like I was this morning, but you and I are God's precious creations. Then my stomach growled.....The sermon was sweet and geared toward the Proverbs 31 woman. I left a few minutes early before the song of dismissal so I could change and get the rest of the dinner going.

The Mother's Day meal turned out better than I hoped (I had prayed over the sweet potatos, green beans, and corn on the cob as I prepared everything. I felt like a Martha instead of a Mary while bustling about the kitchen, but I was doing the best I could--trying to keep focused on God so stress would NOT take over. After getting everything going, my youngest son and his wife gave me two cards--one for Mother's Day and a birthday card (my birthday was today). Whenever Mother's Day falls close to my birthday, (last year my birthday fell on Mother's Day), it is emotional for me. I'm a sentimentalist and am overcome with emotion when I think about being the mother of two sweet young men--my oldest being born the first week of May, and then being the youngest daughter of my eighty-six year old mother. So as much as I tried to hold back tears, I wasn't very successful. God has blessed me in so many ways.

After everyone went home late Sunday afternoon and I had cleaned up the kitchen, I collapsed. And I do mean collapsed! And this morning, when I woke up, for the first time in quite awhile, the old vibrating sensation began in my veins. I spoke out loud with conviction in my voice, "Get in line with the Word!" and then I prayed out loud to God, thanking Him that He was my refuge, my hiding place, my fortress, my strength. The quivering stopped. Praise God! He is always near to help us. He is always willing to strengthen us. We just need to ask...and keep on asking. :)

No comments: