Monday, June 7, 2010

Beating Anxiety Whenever It Occurs

To beat anxiety whenever it springs up in you, it is important to remember that as a Christian, you are God's child, His precious child, with His powerful Spirit dwelling in you and to keep your focus on Christ's love for you. This will help protect your mind and ease anxiety. It may take a few minutes of reminding yourself of God and His love but that is what godly meditation is all about. You are re-training (renewing) your mind. You are taking your thoughts back. The more you focus on God's love for you and His help that is available to you, the more you are "taking captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5). Bible verses that speak about overcoming fear and anxiety, the ones I've posted in my blog, helped me remember (and continue to help me remember) God's great love for me, that I am never alone, and that in Christ, I truly have nothing to fear. When I believe those Truths, and pray them, I become more confident and more relaxed. I feel as though I'm being transformed--and I am, according to 2 Corinthians 3:18.

When I reject the anxious thoughts in my head and stubbornly believe the Truths in God's Word, I am living out 2 Corinthians 3:18 and 2 Corinthians 10:5. The Word is dwelling in me and I am dwelling in the Word.

Jesus said, "Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me." (John 15:4) Peace is a fruit of the Spirit (Gal.5:22-23). You cannot manufacture lasting, deep-seated peace by yourself. But if you do your part--keep your mind occupied with His Word and His love--Christ will do His part. Hallelujah! "My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27) "Trust in God; trust also in Me." (John 14:1)


"How marvelous, how wonderful, and my song shall ever be,
How marvelous, how wonderful is my Savior's love for me."
(I Stand Amazed in the Presence; Text: Charles H. Gabriel
Music: Charles H. Gabriel)

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Amen! Preach on sister :)