Monday, June 28, 2010

Drawing On the Grace of God

Did you happen to read Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest on June 26? Two things that really impressed me:

1) "Prayer is the practice of drawing on the grace of God. Pray now--draw on the grace of God in your moment of need."

I see myself applying this when I'm being strained to the limit. For instance, when I have boo-koos of things to get done, and then my parents call and ask me to go to the store for them or to take one of them somewhere. Whatever it is, it is usually an urgent need, and I have to drop what I'm doing. It's in those first moments of thinking, "I must help but how will I get everything else done?", that I pray to God for help. Otherwise, panic would rise and I'd feel my heart start to race and my thoughts start to stampede. It is only after I pray that I can release control and trust God that all the important stuff will get done. But even if it doesn't, that's okay, too. God has my back.

2) ...in all these things display in your life a drawing on the grace of God, which will show evidence to yourself and to others that you are a miracle of His."

You are a miracle of His. Those words held my attention a long time and I meditated on them. Soon there were tears in my eyes and I had to blow my nose.

I am a miracle of His.

Every time I pray to Him instead of letting myself become overwhelmed, every time I pray for His grace to cope with unexpected chaos, every time I trust in His ability to orchestrate my day instead of trying to figure out how to make it all work, I reinforce the fact that I am His miracle. I love that!

Did you ever stop to think that you are His miracle? I wonder what comes to your mind when you contemplate those words. The word "miracle" is tossed around a lot these days in the secular world. But if you are in Christ, you are a true miracle, with the Spirit of Jesus Christ dwelling in you and waiting for you to call on His grace.

No comments: