Sunday, June 13, 2010

Facing Our Goliaths

This morning's sermon was about David being the only one who wasn't afraid of Goliath when the Philistine's came against Israel. While the Israelite army stood paralyzed by fear, David was galvanized into action by the Holy Spirit. That set me to thinking....

As someone who has been paralyzed by fear during panic attacks, I certainly could relate to the Israelite army more than I could to David. Things looked grim to the Israelites indeed. The army focused on the height and breadth and strength of their enemy. They stared at Goliath, heard his blasphemes against their God and his taunting day after day, and cowered.

I've been there and done that. I've woken day after day and faced the same struggles, the same fears, the same circumstances. I've stared at my Goliaths and thought the same thing--no hope. No way of escape. But I was wrong, and so was the Israelite army. They focused on their enemy and their own weaknesses instead of focusing on the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The God who brought their forefathers out of slavery and parted the Red Sea. The God who loved them and called them his treasured possession (Deut. 26:18).

It is human nature to look at what is happening and focus on the negative, but the Israelites were God's chosen people. How could they ignore the Power that distinguished them from other nations? It is the same for Christians today. We look at our circumstances and we ignore the Power that distinguishes us from nonbelievers. Spiritually, we are no match for our enemies.

God could have struck Goliath down dead Himself, but he appointed David to participate in the victory. David was up to the job because he had an ongoing relationship with the Lord and was filled with His Spirit. I believe that we are all called to participate in some of our victories, and we need to be just as prepared as David. His walk matched his talk--"You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied." (1 Samuel 17:45) NIV

Can we even imagine what would happen if we said those words to our giants? "You come against me with illogical fear and rationalizations and hopelessness, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, my God in Whom I trust!!!"

To be honest, I would rather God fight for me. I get that comfort-zone mentality thing going. God has a way of dealing with that. It's called desperation. My panic attacks weakened after I began putting on the armor of God (Eph. 6) and dwelling in the secret place of the Most High (Ps. 91), but it took my praying Scripture out loud to get those attacks to go away completely. Like David, God wanted my participation, and my faith grew by leaps and bounds because of it.

I have other challenges today, but my battle tactics are the same--believe God will work on my behalf; put on His armor; remain in Jesus, and let His words remain in me; pray about everything...be anxious for nothing; find Scripture that aligns with God's character and will for me and speak them against my circumstances.


I give God the glory for the power in His Word and the Holy Spirit in us who teaches us how to wield it like a sword! With God's armor, we can come against the giants that may threaten us, and like David, we can walk away victorious!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I wrote something very similar awhile back...I just posted it under a new blog, you may read it here if you like :)

http://calledbynameforhisglory.blogspot.com/2010/06/youve-been-called-to-greatness.html