Wednesday, June 23, 2010

God Is Our Strong Tower

"The name of the LORD is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe."
Proverbs 18:10 (NIV)

I used to repeat this verse during panic attacks. I was just beginning to learn about how huge my God really was, and my faith was small, but Proverbs 18:10 was an anchor to hold onto--even as I held onto my husband, trembling in fear. The words came to me out of the desperation of the moment and helped me focus on God and the assurance that I was truly safe. Even though racked with waves of fear, I said them over and over. Later on I learned to pray Scripture. If I had prayed this verse, it would've been something like this: Lord, you said your Name is a strong tower and that I can run into It and be safe. Let your Name be my strong tower now, Lord. Lock me up in It so that I am safe. Help me, Lord. Please rescue me!" I believe the fear would've left sooner if I'd prayed those words. I base that belief on the fact that about a year later, whenever I prayed Scripture, the fear would leave and I would experience God's peace.

God is our Defense. He is our Deliverer. He wants us to cry out to Him so that when He answers, we will know without a doubt that it was Him who rescued us. We will know when God answers our prayers that He alone is God--there is no other--and that He is worthy of our worship, love, and devotion; He is worthy of our seeking to know Him through prayer and Bible study and through serving Him however He sees fit.

I had no idea what God would do the first time I started praying God's Word during panic attacks. I just knew that I had experienced peace while studying the Bible and reading over Scriptures, and that I wanted that peace back. I stepped out in faith, and God met me there. It was scary, but by that time, I had learned my God was bigger than anything and that His Word was alive and powerful. I pray that you will also step out in faith and depend on His living Word.


In Mark 5:20, Jesus said to "tell...how much the Lord has done for you, and how He has had mercy on you." When God helps us, we get to share the good news of His grace with others. We give Him the glory and the church is encouraged and strengthened in the faith. So I am sharing with you how the Lord extended His marvelous grace to me. And if He did it for me, He will do it for you. Why else would Christ want us to share our good news?

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Amen! Wonderful post.