Monday, June 21, 2010

Isaiah 26:3 The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, because he trusts in You." NASB

I have discovered that a steadfast mind is a mind determined to stay focused on Jesus and the truth of His Word. I have also learned that without a steadfast mind, anxiety can and will try to consume you. However, no one is perfect. No one can have a steadfast mind 24/7. But because we are in Christ, we can fight back when our thinking wavers--we don't have to bow down to anxiety. Learning to challenge our thoughts with the truth will help break the cycle of anxiety and negative thoughts.

In my panic days, I read that some people used positive affirmations to counter their anxiety. I tried that--even bought tapes to play every day. However, I had such low self-esteem those did not work for me. It wasn't until I learned to use Bible verses that spoke truth to me about who I was in Christ that I began to think in more positive terms. They reminded me that I was not alone, that God was with me, that nothing was impossible for Him, and that Jesus would take care of me. After two years of living in what seemed like constant fear, I learned the way out of my prison was through God's Word and my faith in my salvation and in my Savior's ability to deliver me from panic.

After a few weeks of saying/praying verses out loud, I actually began to think differently and feel differently. I learned how to walk in faith instead of in fear. All it took was clinging to my new thoughts--God's Truth--and not to believe any thought that disputed God's Word. It was hard work at first. I had not lived or walked by faith in years. But once I determined to cling to God and His Word, I began to experience victory. I began walking in faith with baby steps, and God was gracious and merciful. He helped me grow stronger and stronger in my mind as my faith increased. (Thank you, Lord! I give you glory.)

As we go through the day today, I am encouraging you and myself to be steadfast of mind. Let us not forget that we have a mighty God who loves us and desires His best for us. He is faithful, upright, and just. He does not take pleasure in evil. He is not out to get us...He is for us. It is the only way we will experience God's peace--the peace He wants us to have--the peace He gives freely. John 14:27: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I wish I could express how much this post meant to me. Thank you so much for your faithfulness and for sharing this with us who desperately need a light in the darkness.