Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Bible Study, Laptop, and The Good Shepherd

Yesterday was my last day of Faithful, Abundant, and True--the Bible study I facilitated for the women's morning group at my church. This was a wonderful Bible study, and I felt God's presence at several of our meetings. I felt renewed and refreshed yesterday, and we were all sad to have the study end. We went out to eat to celebrate our faithfulness and hard work for the past 7 weeks and did a little window-shopping.

However, last night I didn't sleep well. My new HP Pavilion Laptop arrived around 6 pm, and I spent hours acquainting myself with it. (I'm not a fan of Windows 7 right now--I miss my XP!) I personalized my desktop, learned about Windows Live Mail (I'm not a fan of that right now, either--I miss Outlook Express!), updated alot of the software, downloaded my free trial of Norton Internet Security, and made recovery discs. (My desktop looks a bit more friendly, but I MISS XP!!!) After doing all of the above, I went to bed--way past my bedtime--with an overloaded brain. In my mentally weakened state, I was no match for spiritual warfare. I had 3 nightmares--the kind that jerk you out of your sleep with your heart pounding. Each time I woke up, all the problems my mind could think of presented themselves. I would pray and then fall asleep; wake up again, pray, and then fall asleep.

Needless to say, I awoke this morning with a rapid heartbeat and feeling overwhelmed. After praying, I turned to Psalm 77 and found verses telling me to meditate on God's greatness. Verses 11-14;20--"I will remember the deeds of the LORD; yes, I will remember Your miracles of long ago. I will meditate on all Your works and consider all Your mighty deeds. Your ways, O God, are holy. What god is so great as our God? You are the God who performs miracles; You display Your power among the peoples. You led Your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron."

God did great and awesome deeds for Israel out of His great love for His people. He does great and awesome deeds for us for the same reason. Instead of Moses and Aaron, we have Jesus Christ leading us by the hand. John 10:14-16: "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me....I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. (you and me) I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd."

I am so grateful for Jesus. There is no problem so great that He cannot handle it, no prayer so weak that He cannot hear it, and when we are weary with overloaded brains and overwhelming problems, He offers us rest and peace. "The LORD is my shepherd...He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul." Praise you, Lord Jesus! I love you so!!!!!

No comments: