Sunday, July 4, 2010

For Such a Time As This

Oh, my goodness, we had a wonderful, inspiring, patriotic service this morning! Just one of the songs we sang was The Battle Hymn of the Republic, and everyone stood up at the end! I had goosebumps on top of goosebumps--and even now, while typing this!

The text for the sermon was Esther 4:14, "And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?"

My pastor impressed upon us how God used Esther to intercede for her nation. He encouraged us to also intercede for our nation and for our nation's leaders--to pray for wisdom and godly leadership for America. He reinforced the fact that, like Esther, each one of us was placed here by God to live out His purpose in this generation--for such a time as this.

Just as Esther humbled herself and went before her king, so we should humble ourselves and present ourselves to our King, ready to surrender all. Xerxes extended his scepter towards Esther, showing her mercy. Our God has extended His scepter toward us, and we need to grab hold of it. Esther was one woman, but when she followed God's will for her life, she saved the lives of millions. One life had made all the difference because she obeyed her God.

The call to recommit myself to following God's will and only God's will for my life was clear. My heart's focus is to put aside my selfishness, humble myself, and cling to the will of God.

Give me an undivided heart, O God, and fix my eyes on Jesus.

Happy Fourth of July, everybody! Let freedom ring!

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

Amen! Let freedom ring!

Sheryl