Friday, July 16, 2010

Pressing On

Good afternoon to you, fellow travelers, as you and I journey through life's ups and downs, calms and storms, surprises and devastations. All of these things affect us physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. Sometimes it feels like we're riding a rollercoaster, and sometimes we feel like we're stuck in line going nowhere. Our one constant in this life is God. Isaiah 33:6 says, "And He will be the stability of your times, A wealth of salvation, wisdom and knowledge; The fear of the LORD is his treasure." (NASB)

Because we have the Spirit of the Lord living within us, we have 24/7 access to stability for our lives. What is it you need today? Wisdom? Rescue? Love? Understanding? Mercy? Forgiveness? Grace? Whatever you need, God is your Source. Jesus says in Matthew 7 that we should ask God, seek God, knock on God's door. He promises that God knows how to give good gifts to His children.

The New Living Translation says, "In that day he will be your sure foundation, providing a rich store of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge. The fear of the Lord will be your treasure." This "fear of the Lord" is the reverential awe of God that every believer must have. The kind of awe that makes us tremble when we realize that the mighty God of all creation could squash us like a bug, but instead He chose to love us. It is a faithful, unfailing love. He has a plan for each one of us and can work wonders in us, through us, and around us if we will forsake all other gods, including the god of "Self" and cling only to Him.

I tell you what I have learned since God saved me from depression and panic and gave me a new song to sing...as long as I insist on doing what I want when I want and in my own way, I will live out the day in my own power at the mercy of my weak sin nature and my Enemy, Satan. But if I will bow the knee to God who loves me and knows what is best for me and give Him my day striving for obedience to His leading, I will experience His will for my life--His good, pleasing and perfect will. I will live outside of my norm, my comfort zone, and I will see Him at work, not only in my life but in other lives as well. I will be a Mrs. Valiant instead of a Miss Much-Afraid (See the book, Hind's Feet on High Places.)

An intimate relationship with God through Jesus Christ is where true stability comes from. I can face anything with God. Each morning we need to spend time in His Word and then in prayer, asking for more of His Spirit, enabling us and stablizing us, shoring us up, helping us face what we need to face, or "who" we need to face, in the Spirit. Then we can be strong when we feel weak. Then we can do right when tempted to do wrong. Then we can refrain from retaliation and choose to love and forgive someone. Then we can change the dynamics of a conversation by speaking encouragement instead of criticism and slander. Then we can put Self aside and exalt God in the choices we make.

Now that is walking in power, not at the mercy of a rollercoaster. And rather than standing in line, we will be able "to press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me (us) heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:14 NIV)

No comments: