Wednesday, July 21, 2010

True Life

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." KJV

Let those words be an encouragement to you today. God did not give us a spirit of fear. If that spirit of fear is influencing you as panic and intense anxiety, as it once did me, you can know it did not come from God and that you need God's help to conquer it. You need His Holy Spirit of power, love, and a sound mind living strongly in you. You need more of Jesus. The only kind of fear that should stay with you is the reverential fear, or awe, of God. The kind that makes us fall to our knees and cry, "Holy! Holy! Holy! The LORD God Almighty! He is King; He is Judge; He is worthy!"

Through His Son, Jesus Christ, God gave us His Spirit of power, love, and a sound mind (self-control, in the ESV). God wants us to be filled to the measure with His Spirit. If, as Christians, we are not filled with Him, then we must be filled with ourselves. Ask God to empty you of your selfishness, your self-centeredness. I have to pray this alot. I am prone to look out for myself--to get things for myself--to live out my life for myself. God looks on the heart and He knows our thoughts. We must be willing to die to any way of life that is not His way. This is what Jesus did. The questions we must ask ourselves are these: Am I willing to nail my selfish sin nature to God's cross of love and obedience? Have I seen the futility of living only for myself and what I can get out of life? Am I ready to give up my vision of what life should be and trust that God knows what is best for me and my family? Do I really desire to know God in the deepest fiber of my being?

If you answered yes, then commit yourself anew to God and ask Him to fill you with Him so that you may have springs of living water welling up in you. If you answered no, but wanted to answer yes, then step out in faith and ask God to help you come to a "yes" in your spirit. The LORD our God is a loving God and Father, a faithful God, a powerful God. He is concerned about you. He loves you. The Bible tells us it is a rich kind of love. A lavish kind of love. Blessings are attached to it. His protection and watch-care come with it.

I've been reading the Bible through this year, and more and more I hear the call of God to us, His precious treasure, to be in fellowship with Him. "Come to me" is His eternal cry through the centuries. "Be my children. Obey my voice. Be loved. Be blessed. Dwell in the land and do good."

To be in fellowship with God through Jesus Christ, His Son, by His Holy Spirit living in us is true life. It is the life every human being desires to live deep-down in their souls. And it is this life that the sin nature in us rebels and struggles against.

Spend time on your knees before God today. Ask Him for the filling of the Holy Spirit. Ask Him to fill you with His Spirit of power and of love and of a sound mind. Ask for Him to teach you how to fellowship with Him. Then live out each day in humility and obedience. Feed on His Word and starve the sin nature, which is in direct conflict with God's ways. Combat every sinful thought with His Word and prayer. Especially thoughts of self-pity which lead down the road to depression and hopelessness. Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power so that you may be able to resist the devil's schemes.(see Ephesians 6:10-18)

Stake your life on God's Holy Word. Fix your eyes (and your mind) on Jesus. Unite yourself to Him through His Holy Spirit, and hear Him saying to you, "Follow me." Reply with all your heart, "Yes, Lord! I will follow--come what may. I will follow only You."

2 comments:

Jill said...

Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much for this Joni!!!
you are such a blessing!
love you
Jill

Lynn S. said...

What a blessing to come to this blog and be encouraged. Thank you!