Monday, August 9, 2010

When The Impossible Really Is Possible

This just happened and I had to blog about it…..My mother and I had just driven up in her driveway from her hair appointment when we noticed the mailman walking away from us on the opposite side of the street. A little dog was yapping at his heels, and we laughed because this little dog was acting so big, and the mailman was ignoring him and heading on down the street. On the way into the house, I checked the mailbox, not knowing if the mailman had already been on our side of the street. The mailbox was empty.

Entering the house I noticed Mother’s plants needed watering so I went to get the water pitcher she uses. Mother went into the bathroom to sweep the cut hair off her neck. We had left the front door open (they have a storm door), and Daddy was sitting in his chair looking out into the yard. I filled the water pitcher and as I went out, Daddy asked me to check the mail.

“I just did,” I said. “It’s not here yet.”

“I just saw the mailman pass,” he replied.

“So did we,” Mother said, entering the room. “He hasn’t made it to our side of the street yet.”

Daddy frowned and said louder, “I just saw him pass.”

“I know,” I said. “We saw him, too. He’ll be back this way.”

Daddy looked at us like we were nuts. “I’m telling you I just saw him.”

Impossible, I thought. “Daddy, I just checked your mailbox, and there was nothing in it. He was headed down the street when we came in.”

Daddy started to sit up straighter in his chair. His face now flushed. “I’m telling you I just saw him…he just now crossed the yard!”

In my mind, I recalled the mailman moving away from us toward the other houses. He would’ve had to have flown to have gone to all those houses on that side of the street, then come up the other side of the street to get to my parents’ house. It was impossible, yet Daddy was adamant and getting madder by the minute because we didn’t believe him.

I shelved my doubt. “Okay,” I said. “I’ll go check.” I went outside, opened the mailbox, and there was the mail. Incredible! My mouth fell open.

Evidently, the mailman had gotten the mail out of sequence and had backtracked to my parents’ house after we’d gone inside. I brought the mail in--laughing and apologizing. Daddy smiled and made some comment about me needing to listen when he tells me something.

The Bible student in me instantly saw spiritual applications—have faith in your heavenly Daddy. Listen when He tells you something. Don’t let your own limited knowledge and past experience dictate your response to Him. Shelve your doubt and be willing to be wrong. And when something seems impossible, remember who your Daddy is.

“All things are possible with God.” (Mark 10:27, NIV)

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 Biblica. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.

No comments: