Monday, November 15, 2010

A Telephone Pole

I was outside on my patio a few days ago taking pictures. And I remembered a day about two years ago, when my husband and I were hit with a serious, life-changing family crisis. I was devastated. I cried. I prayed. I felt my heart being splintered into pieces. I knew that nothing would ever be the same again. Something had died that could not be retrieved. Trust had been broken in the cruelest way. I did not think I would survive it. I could see no way out--no resolution and no restoration. I thought it was going to be the death of me. I remember the day I walked out on my patio and poured out my heart to God because I felt myself losing control. It had just finished raining and it looked to me as if God's creation in my backyard had been mourning with me. I told God everything I felt--betrayed, rejected, hurt, angry, devastated. And then I just stood and cried. I had no words left. In the stillness of that moment, these words came to my mind--God will make a way. God WILL make a way.


I grasped onto the Holy Spirit's encouragement, opened my eyes and lifted my head, and right in front of me was the Cross. Actually, it was a telephone pole with its posts darkened by the rain so that it stood out against the backdrop of green leaves. But I saw the Cross. I cried all over again--this time tears of gratitude. I knew--I knew deep-down in my heart--that somehow victory would come out of this because God never loses. He is in control, and no matter how bad things may seem or how dark, there is always more going on behind the scenes than we can know. There is glory at stake. I knew my job was to trust, keep praying, and keep believing.

Today things are better. Little by little God's love and grace have changed hearts. Trust is being rebuilt slowly, but at least it is being rebuilt. And I'm still believing for total restoration. I am anticipating a glorious reunion.

So why am I telling you all this? Because I snapped a picture of the telephone pole, and I wanted to post it on here. This telephone pole is very special to me, and I wanted you to know the reasons why. :)

The telephone pole can barely be seen, but when it is wet, it stands out in stark contrast. It had been there for 31 years, but I had never stood in that particular place on my porch and or seen it as clearly until that rainy morning. I used the zoom on my camera. It isn't really this close to my patio.

No comments: