Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The LORD Thy God is With Thee

Joshua 1:5-7,9 "As I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee. Be strong and of a good courage....Only be thou strong and very courageous..Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.".

These words of God are so encouraging to me. God is with me. I cannot go anywhere that He is not with me. I will not face anything that He is not there with me. And if He is there with me, then I can pray to Him to help me. My strength and my courage comes from the fact that my God is with me. I am not dismayed because my God is with me.

Whenever anxiety threatens to take hold, I can choose to turn to God in my mind and in my heart and just start talking to Him, thanking Him that He is there and will help me because He is for me. I can pray for more of His filling so that I can stand firm. I can ask for more faith, more peace, more discernment--whatever I need. I can put my trust in Him and in His love for me, and then I will no longer be anxious or afraid. I have a huge God who stands ready to help His children when they call. Never will He leave me; never will He forsake me.

Why doesn't God want us to be afraid and fearful? Because when we are afraid and fearful, the Holy Spirit is not in control. We don't think clearly. Fear affects our faith.We sort of take back the reins of our lives as if our Lord cannot be trusted.  Fear not only leads to distrust but it grows into panic. God wants us Spirit-filled not fear-filled. God wants us to have a sound mind, not a chaotic mind. Peace, not disorder. God wants His best for us. So He encourages us to be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power so that we may be able to withstand the devil's schemes. Because He is with us, we do not have to be afraid. We can resist the temptation to panic and remain in Christ's love, self-controlled and alert. That is when we are most effective and the most dangerous to our enemy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words touched my heart deeply. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder in 1993. And although a Christian, I really battle with depression. Many things you wrote, spoke to areas of my life. "We sort of take back the reins of our lives as if our Lord cannot be trusted." If I have trusted the Lord for my salvation, why do I then still think that I can't trust Him in every day life? I have struggled with these thoughts for a long time. Thank you for sharing your heart - helping me to have a renewed trust in the Lord.

Joni said...

Be encouraged that the great theologian and pastor, Charles H. Spurgeon, also suffered from recurring depression (as well as gout). He clung to Jesus, and it showed! The weaknesses in our personalities are what draws us to the strength of the Lord. And He is more than willing to give us what we need if we ask Him. "It is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom."

Jesus said, "The kingdom of God is within you." I believe one way we can know the kingdom of God is within us is when we rely on Him in our hearts and minds and He supplies what we need--mentally, physically, or spiritually. We experience a strengthening that cannot be explained. That's when we find ourselves walking in new territory, and we get a glimpse of His glory and His loving care for us. God cares for you deeply and will never leave you alone or turn you away. What god is like our God. There is no one else who can do for us what God can do. Praise you, Lord! All glory, all honor, all power, all rule and authority goes to You!