Friday, March 4, 2011

Busy Week

I have been taking my parents and my husband to doctor's appointments this past week. I have had something to do every morning and afternoon and have had more than one stressful conversation with my parents. Stressful because they are very strong-willed and still want to be independent (Who can blame them?). Stressful because it is hard to see my parents at this age—weak in mind and body and easily confused. I get confused myself when trying to sort everything out. I have taken to making notes during doctor visits and keeping an up-to-date typed list of their medications--a list that seems to change every 2 weeks. I've made copies for them to keep as well as for me to keep in my wallet. I have pulled their medications list out more than once this week for doctors to xerox. It seems that they get confused, too, regarding the changes they've prescribed.

I have prayed alot this past week because my stress threshold has been maxed. I felt the old vibration inside me at 5:30 this morning as soon as I opened my eyes because I had to get up and get ready for yet another appointment. I prayed to God for His strength and asked Him to be my refuge today, and after I finished praying, the vibrating was gone and I felt refreshed. I was so grateful. I thanked Him and sang a song of praise softly because I had become aware of singing in my heart. The Spirit knows when I need to sing to my God. I was reminded afresh today that Christ Jesus is our Good Shepherd and that His Spirit does indeed live in the hearts of believers to provide our needs. I felt such peace, and the thought came to me that if we would all just rest in God's care and trust Him to work things out, we could keep our minds stayed on Him--on His will, on His power at work in us, and on His glory. Then we would live in joy, peace, and contentment and serve Him with gladness and singing. What a wonderful way to live out each day.

Psalm 5:11-12 (NIV) But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you. For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

Life can just get to be so difficult. Only God can sort it all out for us.

I'm praying for you as you work to be in the new role in your life.

Sheryl

Joni said...

Thank you so much, Sheryl. I appreciate your encouragement. :) I pray we will all run the race before us in the Spirit's strength and guidance and that we will stubbornly keep our eyes and our minds stayed on Jesus--the lover of our souls.