Friday, April 15, 2011

A Personal Work

I am participating in Beth Moore's Scripture Memory activity this year, which means every 2 weeks I choose a verse or passage of Scripture to memorize. For accountability, Beth has us post the verse or verses on her blog every 1st and 15th of the month. I started out memorizing Psalm 139 and have been reciting it almost daily. I have verses 1-18 memorized, and they have encouraged me every time I say them. Today I posted the last two verses I am memorizing of this wonderful psalm: "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139: 23-24, NIV)

I am not memorizing the whole psalm--only the verses that I need and want to apply to my life, so I skipped verses 19-22. One day I may go back and memorize those, too, but I really need verses 23-24 at this time.These past few weeks I have seemed to be going non-stop and feeling stressed out at times as a result.  

Well, my husband just walked in and needs help planting a hibiscus bush, so I have to go. Will post again later. :)          

Okay, I'm back. I just wanted to add that I have not just been reciting Psalm 139--after memorizing the verses, I began praying the words to God. What a difference! God's Word truly encourages us and His Word increases our awareness of His Presence and love for us like nothing else! I have felt truly loved and noticed by God since learning this psalm. This past week I felt the strongest need to surrender everything to Jesus again. I know God is working on the parts of my heart and soul that need rebuilding and restoring, and I need to let Him do it!

He really spoke to me through the Bible study, David: Seeking a Heart Like His. I have been reminded that, like David, we will sometimes have to fight old enemies, only our enemies are not physical, but spiritual. The first one I thought of was stress aka anxiety. Like David, I may become weary and exhausted in the battle, but God will be my strength and my support. He will hide me in the secret place and under His wings I will find refuge. I give Him praise tonight for giving me the time to rest yesterday and today that I had prayed for a few days ago. God hears our prayers and after these past two restful days, I feel like I am ready to take up the fight once again. If you are weary, I encourage you to tell your Father so and ask for His help. He will come through! As Beth taught us through Scripture, He is still our Savior, Defender, Deliverer, and compassionate Father. Glory to His Name! So why do we have to do battle? Because we grow in our battles. We mature spiritually and mentally. And because our lives here on earth will prepare us for our lives in Heaven. Endure hardship as discipline, and remember you never go through anything alone. You have the Holy Spirit inside you, and you belong to Christ. God will provide what you need when you ask for His help.

Have a blessed Palm Sunday, everyone!

No comments: