Monday, August 15, 2011

Choose Life

"Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the LORD is your life." Deut. 30:19-20 (NIV)

I'm choosing these verse to memorize for the next two weeks. They're written on my ceramic board in my kitchen where I can see it every day. I'm also writing it in my Siesta Memory Spiral which Beth Moore had made up for those who follow her blog and participate in Scripture Memory with her every other year.

In verse 19, God tells us to choose life, then shows us what that life looks like in verse 20. When we choose to love God above all and listen to Him and cling to Him no matter what, we are choosing life. When we step out in faith and turn from our self-centered/anxious thoughts and choose to think God's thoughts (which are found in His Word) about ourselves and our situations, then we are choosing life. We are choosing God and His Way.

Choose to open your Bible and let God speak to you today. Kay Arthur says to thank God for the Bible we hold in our hand and to ask Him to speak to us through it. We can pray for wisdom as we read. (James 1:5) This is the first step to freedom from anxiety--reading God's Word and meditating on it so it can penetrate our confusion and darkness--and it will. "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12, NIV)

Let the word of God judge your anxious thoughts and attitudes and change them. Every time I choose to believe the Word over my own thoughts and attitudes, I feel closer to God and a freedom inside that I cannot express. I feel well loved and sheltered and encouraged. I feel renewed and I want to walk with the Lord even more. I cling to Him and Him only; my soul finds deep rest in Him alone. The Lord is our life. If we try to make it on our own or by any other means, we are not living at all. We are just existing; just making it through our days by the skin of our teeth. God has much more in store for His children than that.

"Now choose life....."

1 comment:

Sheryl H. Boldt said...

Hi, Joni. I commented on one of your posts several weeks ago. I admire your consistent posting in spite of your struggles.

I also love Deut. 30:19-20. Psalm 118:17 has also meant a lot to me when I struggled with severe depression: "I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done."

Again, don't give up.
Sheryl H. Boldt
http://memorizingscriptureblog.blogspot.com
sherylhboldt@gmail.com