Friday, October 14, 2011

On the Patio with God

Did my Believing God homework on the patio this afternoon. I was feeling anxious because for once, I didn't have to do anything for anyone so all that I left undone for myself came flooding in. I didn't know what to do first. I had so many options I felt overwhelmed. I prayed and asked God what I should do. I felt led to go get my workbook and Bible and sit on the patio swing. It was a beautiful day. In south Texas we don't get many days of low humidity and temps below 90 until our first cold front in mid-October. (heard on the news we're getting one next week. Yes!) Anyway, it was perfect outside and my brain calmed down as I read and applied the day's reading to my life. When I finished I felt so much better. I rested on the swing, taking in the beauty of God's creation in my own backyard and meditating on God in my heart. I realized that this was what I needed--to be at rest and to not worry about anything. Reminded me of what Jesus said to Martha when she couldn't get her sister, Mary, to help her in the kitchen--Martha, Martha, you are worried about so many things. Only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her. I felt like a Mary this afternoon, sitting at Jesus' feet to learn more about Him, and I felt blessed because I had chosen to sit there instead of rushing around. The challenge for me is to do that daily.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joni, I found your blog when I googled,'read Bible for help with anxiety'. This is something that I have recently been dealing with, and have been crying out to Jesus for relief from, but honestly have not noticed any change. I went to church this morning for the first time in a long time, and had the pastor pray over me, then I come home and have a Terrible anxiety attack. I've been feeling terribly alone lately - my best friend and spiritual mentor passed away suddenly several years ago, and my 2 other good friends moved, one across the county, and the other has left our friendship behind after she moved. I've never blogged before, so forgive me for this getting long. I don't understand about choosing an identity in order to comment, so for now i will just be anonymous. Please remember me in your prayers. Betty

Joni said...

Hi, Betty,
I have written your name down on my prayer list. Please don't be discouraged because you had an anxiety attack after church. I once had one in my Sunday School class and the lesson was on not worrying! But I went back the next Sunday, and I hope you do, too.

Jesus loves you, Betty, and if you've accepted Him as your Savior and Lord, asking Him to forgive you of your sins and to come into your heart, then His Holy Spirit lives in you. You can trust Him to help you even though you are still having attacks. Pray to Him--especially during attacks (I pray the Scriptures I've posted in my blog--I'll repost them after this comment.)and keep reading the Bible and meditating on what you read. Ask God to help you understand what you are afraid of and why. Ask Him to fill you with His Truth and His Spirit. The more you feed your spirit with the Word, the more you will be able to drown out the lies that are feeding your fears. Read the Word out loud, too. "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" the Bible says. It's a powerful thing to pray out loud and to read the Word out loud.

Your sister in Christ,
Joni