Sunday, October 9, 2011

Overcoming the Enemy

"LORD God, I desire to claim the words Moses delivered to Your ancient people. Help me not to be afraid. Enable me to stand firm and I will see the deliverance You, the Lord, will bring me today. You, Lord, will fight for me; help me only to be still." (Praying God's Word cards by Beth Moore; Exodus 14:13-14; bold font added by me)

Whenever I am anxious or afraid, I have to move. I can't seem to sit still. Yet, in Philippians 4, God tells us to not be anxious about anything but to pray about everything. He desires us to "Be still, and know that I am God." (Ps. 46:10)

The more the Enemy can keep us on the run through fear and anxiety the less apt we are to pray. Praying is so powerful that the Enemy will do everything he can to keep us from it. That's why we need to deliberately make a choice to stop and get alone with God and pray about what concerns us. I've learned in the past (and I am learning again)that when I begin to feel anxious, I need to stop and pick up my 3x5 spiral and start praying Scripture to God, crying out to Him for help like the verses above from Exodus. Fear and anxiety feed on fearful and anxious thoughts--the more fearful and anxious thoughts you have the greater your fear and anxiety grows. But if you are filling your mind with God's Word, then your thoughts change and God's peace becomes your reality.

When we pray to God, we are acknowledging His presence and sovereignty in our lives. We are telling Him we believe His Word over our circumstances, that we believe He is our heavenly Father who loves us and is concerned about us, that we are not all alone. We are exercising our faith that He will come to our aid. And His Word says that He will indeed come and help us and that His peace will guard our hearts and our minds in Christ Jesus. (Phil. 4:6-7)

So the next time you feel that urgent need to run or move or that you are going to pull your hair out, run get your spiral of Scriptures (or your ipod with the Praying God's Word app on it; or the Siesta Scripture Memory app--both are free). Start praying to your Father in heaven. See for yourself if after 5 or 10 minutes of praying Scripture, your fear and anxiety doesn't leave and you become "still" before your God.

If you are new to praying Scripture like I was back in 2005, it may take longer--took me 20 minutes the first time because I was in the midst of a panic attack--but each time you do it, the shorter the interval between anxiety and experiencing God's peace. And when God calms your fear and anxiety you will be able to "be still", and you will know that you know that He is God!

Exercise your faith, dear ones, and let God be God. Nothing can separate you from the love of God in Christ Jesus. Not even fear or anxiety. Believe that God is more powerful than fear or anxiety or panic or depression because He is! I am living proof, as are so many others.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Thank you,Joni :0)

Monica Berini