Monday, December 19, 2011

Chrismas Is All About Jesus

Romans 8:1-3 “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering.” (NIV)

I’m usually in the Gospel of Luke at Christmastime because I love the way the Good News of Jesus’ birth is portrayed there. But I’ve been having some physical and spiritual struggles and have felt guided by the Spirit to Romans 8 more than once for this season of my life. Tonight as I meditated on the verses above, I saw Christmas there in verse 3. “For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering.”

From the very beginning, Jesus was born into the world to be a sin offering. It was His primary objective to take our sins and the sins of the world upon Himself. He who was without sin was born into the world to be condemned, persecuted and sacrificed, given over to death on a cross so that “the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us….”(Ro. 8:4)

Christmas is all about Christ Jesus coming into the world as God‘s greatest gift. Because of Jesus, our sins are forgiven, our broken fellowship with God is restored, and you and I can know God and believe God. We can love God and pray to God, and our prayers are heard. Because of Jesus, you and I have an eternal inheritance that will never perish. Because of Jesus, you and I can change...live free from the dominion of sin through the power of the Holy Spirit in us. And when we blow it and believe that God surely can‘t use us now, we can have a new start, for “His mercies are new every morning.” Because of Jesus, you and I can have contentment and soul-satisfaction in loving and worshiping and serving God as we go about our day. And when you and I are in the midst of struggles and hardships, if we will lift our hearts and minds to the Lord, our spirits can still soar on wings like eagles, for our Saviour will carry us, strengthen us, protect us.

“For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.” (Luke 2:11, KJV, bold font added by me)

1 comment:

stephanie said...

Thank you for the encouraging post Joni :)