Thursday, December 8, 2011

Theme Verses for 2011 Making Way for 2012 Theme Verses

At the beginning of 2011, I chose two verses that would be my theme verses for my life for 2011. I chose Nehemiah 8:10 and Psalm 62:1 because both seemed to apply and I couldn't choose between the two.

This year, around Thanksgiving, I asked God if He would give me a theme verse for my life for 2012, and He certainly did! I woke up November 28 with Proverbs 3:5-6 speaking softly in my mind. I went to my desk where I have my quiet time in the mornings and wrote the words: "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." (NIV)I thanked God for those verses, but I am so lame-brained I forgot that I had prayed for theme verses. It wasn't until a day or so ago that I realized that these verses were meant to be my 2012 life verses. In other words, I was thinking on November 28 how nice it was for the Holy Spirit to bring these verses to my mind without realizing they were my answer to my earlier prayer.

I don't know if ADD is an effect of getting older or if it's because we live such fast-paced lives filled with "get info quick" devices so that our brains are overflowing with nonessential stuff. Whatever the reason, I've been praying for God to make me smarter than I am and to help me remember things. One of my 2012 resolutions is going to be getting more organized and sticking to a daily plan so I can get more done. I'm going to try to not get online as much because I can really get distracted checking my email and internet shopping and before you know it, hours have passed. I want to take more control over my time.

I tried it last year and bought a kitchen timer awhile back with good intentions of limiting my time online, but I'd forget to set it. :) This time I'm writing it down as a goal. (I'm also going to try and review my goals more often.) I hope I'm not the only one that has to do these things. Tell me I'm not alone. :)

No comments: