Sunday, January 1, 2012

January 1, 2012

January 1, 2012

It’s a New Year! A time of new beginnings…. I sat with the Lord in my quiet time this morning, and I told Him I wanted 2012 to be the year where I actually abide in Him and in His love every day for the rest of my days. I want to be surrounded by Him and not by fear, anxiety, and doubt. Not by negative thoughts and emotions--my own or someone else‘s or those fed by the media.

God told Abraham not to fear, that He was his Shield, his very great Reward. (Gen. 15:1) In Bible times a shield was so large a soldier could hide behind it. That’s the picture I want to keep in my mind daily. The Psalms speak of God as our shield: “My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart.“ (Ps. 7:10); “But You are a shield around me, O LORD…(Ps. 3:3) “For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; You surround them with Your favor as with a shield.“ (Ps. 5:12)

I looked up “surround” in The Strongest NIV Exhaustive Concordance and came up with these:

Psalm 32:7 “You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.”

Psalm 32:10 “The LORD’s unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in Him.”

The word “trusts” in the above verse reminded me of my Theme verse for 2012: “Trust in the LORD with all you heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.” (Pro. 3:5-6) I also remembered, “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.” (Ps. 91:1-2)

I believe these are great verses to meditate on this month and will give me a good beginning as I turn my ears and my heart to God and His Word. I want to abide in His unfailing love and not let other things overwhelm me. I’ve written these verses down on 3x5s so I can review them and pray them daily. It’s the only way my mind can be continually renewed. Jesus said in the book of John, “If you abide in me and my words abide in you….” This is what I want…this is my priority goal for 2012--abiding in Him and His Word abiding in me. Then I will truly be surrounded by Him.

No comments: