Sunday, January 22, 2012

Scripture That's Helping Me

As my sister and I continue to take turns staying with Daddy while he recuperates from a fractured rib, I have been focusing on these Scriptures to keep me mentally, physically and spiritually strong. My stamina wanes quickly by the end of the day, and I continually need a fresh supply for each new day. I go to my Lord, and He has been faithful to me. All are NIV translation.

1 Cor. 1:8 "Who will sustain you to the end, guiltless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Ps. 55:22 Cast all your cares on the LORD, and he will sustain you.

Ps. 119:116 Sustain me according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed.

Is. 46:4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

I really love Isaiah 46:4--especially the words "...I have made you and I will carry you...rescue you." To me that means that it's okay I have trouble with anxiety and stress because I have a God who made me and who will carry me through these difficult days. He knows me better than I know myself, and He loves me without making me feel ashamed that I don't have it all together. He continually gives of Himself to me so that I can give of myself to others. I don't always give of myself willingly or unselfishly. Sometimes I gripe and complain...then I repent of my griping and complaining.

I'm learning that everything I face has been filtered through the hand of God in order to help me grow up in Christ Jesus. I have a lot of growing up to do. This has helped me mentally accept all that happens. And the best part is, if God has ordained this difficult season for me, then as I lean on Him, I will get to see Him at work in my life. He will see me through. Because God is not evil. In Him, there is no darkness at all, Scripture tells us. And He has promised never to leave me nor forsake me. (Hebrews 13:5-6)

Because I've had to lean on Him and not my own resources, I feel closer to God today than I have in weeks. He is my Sustainer, my Rescuer, and my Deliverer. He is trustworthy, and His Word can be depended upon at all times. If at any time I think that His Word is not working in me or in my circumstances, then the fault is with me. His Word is perfect, and it leads to liberty. (James 1:25)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sustain me according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed - I like that verse a lot. Thank you for posting this. I check out your blog often as I have been dealing with some anxiety on and off for months now. It is very encouraging. It reminds me to trust God even at all times.

Joni said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment. God's Word is our lifeline! As Moses said, "These are not just words to you...they are your life!" Amen!