Saturday, April 28, 2012

More On Anxiety

I found some information on Dr. John Piper's website and this is a somewhat condensed version. I love his quote so much. I underlined it below:

Dr. John Piper— John is the pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minn., an author of more than 30 books and more than 25 years of his preaching and teaching is available free at desiringGod.org.    “God is most glorified in me when I am most satisfied in Him.”

Anxiety is a form of unbelief. Finding out the connection between our anxiety and our unbelief is in fact very good news, because it is the only way to begin the battle with the real cause of our sin and get the victory that God can give us by the therapy of his Word and his Spirit. When anxiety strikes and blurs our vision of God's glory and the greatness of the future that he plans for us, this does not mean that we are faithless, or that we will not make it to heaven. It means our faith is being attacked. At first blow our belief in God's promises may sputter and swerve. But whether we stay on track and make it to the finish line depends on whether we set in motion a process of resistance. Whether we fight back against anxiety. It is a spiritual battle. We battle anxiety by meditating on God’s Word and asking for the help of His Holy Spirit. We believe the promises of God and we pray for the help of His Spirit.

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

FIVE PILLARS OF FEARLESSNESS (from Isaiah 41:10 above)

                    1. God is with me.
                    2. God is my God.
                    3. God will strengthen me.
                    4. God will help me.
                    5. God will uphold me.

Anxious about being too weak to do my work:

Deut. 33:25 As your days so shall your strength be. (NKJV)

2 Corin. 12:9 My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.

Anxious about decisions:

Ps. 32:8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

Anxious about my ministry being useless and empty:

Is. 55:11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Anxious about new business or meeting:

Is. 41:10 (see above)

Financial Anxiety:

Matt. 6:30-33 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Anxious about growing old:

Isa. 46:4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Anxious I may fail God, fall away from God:

Ph. 1:6 Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

1 Thess. 5:23 May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Heb. 7:25 Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

Footnotes:
a. Hebrews 7:25 Or forever

Anxious about all unknowns:

Deut. 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

Anxious about victory/ facing opponents:

Pr. 21:31 The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the LORD.

Ro. 8:31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?

By John Piper. © Desiring God. Website: desiringGod.org

No comments: