Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Bringing You Back

Oswald Chambers in My Utmost for His Highest devotional said, "Not only must our relationship to God be right, but the outward expression of that relationship must also be right. Ultimately, God will allow nothing to escape; every detail of our lives is under His scrutiny. God will bring us back in countless ways to the same point over and over again. And He never tires of bringing us back to that one point until we learn the lesson, because His purpose is to produce the finished product. It may be a problem arising from our impulsive nature, but again and again, with the most persistent patience, God has brought us back to that one particular point. Or the problem may be our idle and wandering thinking, or our independent nature and self-interest. Through this process, God is trying to impress upon us the one thing that is not entirely right in our lives."

I feel like God keeps bringing me back to absolute reliance on Him. I can't get away with just a quick devotional reading and short prayer in the morning and then before bed reading a passage from the Bible and a quick prayer. My walk with God has to be more of a minute-by-minute relationship. I'm trying to keep a God-consciousness throughout my day, and I'm trying to submit to His will in all circumstances. I'm trying to remember to praise Him when I think of Him and all He's done for me. To remember to take frequent breaks to look up and out at His creation, to focus on Jesus' love for me--His Spirit in my heart. And also to meditate on Scripture that tells me my God is more powerful than my fearful thoughts or feelings. The more I do these things, the more peace I have. It's part of the abundant life God planned for us all.


No comments: