Saturday, July 21, 2012

Rest in the Lord

I am taking time to rest in the Lord and in His Word. Reading the Bible slowly, meditating on what I read. My thoughts yesterday:
"Come unto me all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest....you will find rest unto your souls." (Matt. 11:28,30 KJV)

Rest from the fear of the pain of rejection.
Rest from the fear of being unacceptable.
Rest from the fear of being unlovable.
Rest from the fear of not being good enough.
Rest from self-condemnation for sins that have been forgiven.
Rest from the high expectations I set for myself or have let others set for me.
Rest from the world's constant call to be more, do more, have more, take more, make more.
Rest from expecting loved ones and friends to meet needs that only Jesus can meet.
Rest from the weariness, disappointments, and frustrations of life.
Rest from trying to control my life and others' lives.
Rest from believing that failure means I can't try again.

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. (Ps. 91:1, NIV)

Rest in the deep, deep love of Christ.
Rest in the overflowing grace of God that is greater than all my sin.
Rest in the deep peace of God that passes all understanding.
Rest in the comfort of my Good Shepherd who restores my soul.
Rest in the knowledge of God's great love and protection.
Rest in the promises of God, my Father, who watches to see that His Word is fulfilled.
Rest in the good, pleasing, and perfect will of my God who loves me and cares for me.
Rest in the knowledge that my Father's plans are for my good and His glory.
Rest in the constant company of Jesus where I can live freely.

"My eyes are always on the LORD, for He will pull my feet out of the net." (Ps. 25:15, HCSB)

4 comments:

J said...

I'm not sure I've commented on any of your posts before, but I've been "following" you for a while. I think you have great strength. And this particular post is excellent. As a young person with an admitttedly pathetic attention span i find it very hard to take in God's word slowly and really dwell on it. But to think of His word and rest. Each line you wrote is worthy of a restful period of meditation on God.

Joni Woodward said...

Hi, J,
Thank you for your comments. I had to smile when I read about my strength. I really have none. The Lord is my strength. Literally. If I didn't have Him, I would be as weak as water. I know this because I lived that way for years before God, in His great mercy, heard my cry and intervened. I claim David's writing: I love you, Lord. You are my strength. Ps. 18:1 :)

J said...

I gladly amend my statement. You have great faith and humility to rely on, accept, and use the strength of the Lord. All glory and honor to God for offering to us all the things we need.

Joni Woodward said...

Amen! :)