Monday, October 29, 2012

Medication Update

I've been learning more and more about panic anxiety. According to Christian psychologist Dr. Archibald Hart, chronic stress triggers panic anxiety. It seems to be what triggers mine. He made a statement in his dvd about anxiety and stress. He said that the anxiety mentioned in the Bible is psychological anxiety. Panic anxiety is biological. In other words, heredity plays a major role, so that the anxiety is not just the result of negative thinking. I know anxiety runs in my family on my mother's side. I've been taking 1/4 of the lowest dose of Celexa since last Thursday because I've been experiencing stronger anxiety symptoms. I've been in the Word, doing Bible study, memorizing Scripture, meditating on Scripture, praying to my Father; and still the anxiety returns. So I talked with my doctor, and am hoping this medication will be the means God will use to heal me.

I am already experiencing relief from anxiety symptoms, although I'm dealing with some side effects of the medicine--sleepiness, slight headache, slight nausea. I'm forcing myself to walk 45 minutes a day and that has helped. I've been able to reduce the amount of alprazolam I've been taking. I'm going to give Celexa a good try. Hopefully, the side effects will go away within two weeks.

I know that there are others out there like myself who don't like being on medication for anxiety. But I look at it in the same way I do my thyroid medicine and my blood pressure medicine. These medicines keep my body functioning the way God intended. Anti-anxiety medications do the same thing. I've prayed that the Lord would enable this medication to heal my mind. I believe He has heard my prayer. He's still my Healer, and all glory belongs to Him.

3 comments:

One Day At A Time said...

Hi Joni~I also hate taking medications, so I understand your feelings about going to them as a last resort. I know that during some really hard times in my life when the biology of my body prevented me from any relief, modern medicine did, and I was SO thankful to God for giving doctors the brains to come up with that stuff. :) Prayers that you will settle into the Celexa comfortably!

Joni said...

Thank you!! I'm hanging in there.

AQuietMind said...

Hi Joni! I have been reading your blog for a few weeks now, and you have inspired me to start my own. I share very similar symptoms with you (panic, agoraphobia, anxieties). I stopped taking Celexa (Citalopram) back in February, as I hope to eventually become pregnant and it's not safe to take during pregnancy. Celexa was a miracle medication for me, and I pray that it will be the same for you. My symptoms came back a few months after stopping, and as of today I am now taking Zoloft, which is supposed to be one of the safer SSRI medications for if I do become pregnant. I feel that I have already learned so much from you, and know that God played a role in me stumbling upon your blog when I googled "Panic Disorder Scriptures" a few weeks ago. Thank you for sharing your story with the world. If you ever wanted to read my blog, the link is:http://aquietpeacefulmind.wordpress.com/2012/11/02/hello-world/